Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

heater problem 2003accord

zookre
01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
my 2003 accord ex has heat on passenger side only, drivers side cold air, this car has dual zone climate control and I think something is wrong with that but the dealer so far has flushed the radiator and heater core with a cost of $200.00 and that didn't fix the problem and now they want to replace the heater core at a cost of $500.00, anyone have any ideas?

jeffcoslacker
01-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Sounds more like a dash control or vacuum leak problem.

I haven't seen dual-zone on a Honda, so I don't know how it's set up. Does it have electronic temp selection (you dial up the temp you want) or do you just set it with a slider or dial?

Tekb0y1
01-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Sounds like a control box problem to me too. Try and change out the driver side controller.

zookre
01-09-2007, 08:35 AM
it has electronic selection, you dial the temp you want

jeffcoslacker
01-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Eek. Those can get quite complex. The GM versions have a seperate dedicated computer control system with it's own dignostic procedure and can be flash reprogrammed etc....if the Honda version is similar, you really need to take it to a shop that specializes in auto A/C and heating, I don't put much faith in your dealer from what you've stated so far, unless they know something I'm not understanding, because there is (as far as I know) only one heater core that supplies both zones, so if you have heat one place but not another, you'd have a control system problem, replacing a core isn't going to change anything.

I'd lean more toward something like a bad blend door actuator, temp sensor or control unit, but like I said, you most likely have to scan the system to see what's happening....

Get it to someone who honestly understands that system, or you can waste a lot of money throwing parts at it with no effect...look in the phone book under auto for "air conditioning repair" and find the one that's been in business the longest, they are usually your best bet.

I'm puzzled why your dealer doesn't seem to want to diagnose it correctly, unless they are seeing something that's not apparent here...

hshepardjr
06-09-2007, 12:48 PM
I have this same problem. Does anyone know what's the cause. My Honda dealer says it may be a weak compressor or expansion valve. Needless to say, I'm not going to have them start replacing parts that aren't broken.

Add your comment to this topic!