Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What else could it be?

noholdsbarred
01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Alright, this problem has been occuring for the last little while. When I shift gears quickly, mainly from first to second, I hear this clunking sound coming from the rear of the car. If I ease it into second, it is not so bad. I found that the front u-joint was loose and had that replaced, but it kept happening. Next time I took it in I was told the rear u-joint and both driveshaft hangers were bad. So $500 later, it is still happening. I'm baffled. What else is back there that could be clunking around? Oh, forgot to mention, when the car rolls backwards in neutral, it makes a small sound even before the car starts moving forward. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

defiancy
01-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Alright, this problem has been occuring for the last little while. When I shift gears quickly, mainly from first to second, I hear this clunking sound coming from the rear of the car. If I ease it into second, it is not so bad. I found that the front u-joint was loose and had that replaced, but it kept happening. Next time I took it in I was told the rear u-joint and both driveshaft hangers were bad. So $500 later, it is still happening. I'm baffled. What else is back there that could be clunking around? Oh, forgot to mention, when the car rolls backwards in neutral, it makes a small sound even before the car starts moving forward. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

They charged you 500 dollars to replace driveshaft hangers? Sorry dude but you need to find a new mechanic.

If you have a noise coming from the real of the car when you shift. I would assume that it's your Rear differential. It's the only thing that I could see making any noise when you are shifting, atleast coming from the rear of the car.

Add your comment to this topic!