96 Grand Am 3.1 L (Won't Start)

shep18
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi i am having a big problem and was hoping some one can help. I recentley had to change my oil pan because it had a crack in it. So in doing that i had to do quit a bit of stuff to get it off. But the only electrical stuff I had to unhooked was the battery and had to take off the starter and that's the only electrical stuff i unhooked other than the oil level sensor on the oil pan. But now that I have gotten it all back together I tryed to start the car and I get nothing it dont even try and turn over it does nothing and I know the battery isn't dead all the dash lights come on and I was thinking it might be the theft sys on it, since that light and check engine light and the oil light are all on. I tryed to do the reset thing on the theft sys from my memory the 3 on for 10 min and off for a bit and on again and so on to no sucsess. I have also had the starter taken in and tested it was good i checked all the fuses as well. Im stumped only thing is maybe i didnt do the theft sys reset thing right if anyone can explain in detail how to do that or have anything else they think it might be plz let me know. The Car is a 96 Grand Am 3.1 L.

Thanks

xeroinfinity
01-09-2007, 12:54 AM
I would test you battery with a voltmeter.
should be 13 volts.

So it doesnot turn over(the starter ) ?
If not then check the wires on the starter and or have it tested again.

If the passlock system was triped it would still turn over just not start.
ANd to do the relearn it has to turn over.

gmack221
01-09-2007, 09:11 AM
if its not turning over double check its in park, double check the wires are on the starter correctly, & make sure the battery voltage is over 12 volts. After all of that check the fuses, make sure you didn't fry a fuse before you disconnected the battery.

shep18
01-09-2007, 04:29 PM
well i know the battery is starting to go dead now cause i have been trying the reset alarm thing like 3 times now and the car has sit out in the cold garage for like 3 or 4 weeks. so im going to go take the battery in and have it tested and or recharged the only other thing i was thinking is that i have got the wires back on the starter wrong but if someone could possible tell me which ones go where my chiltons manal doesnt say, i have 3 wires and 2 have spots to fit on the bigger threaded bolt on the starter and the other wire fits on the smaller bolt on the starter unless thats not right. Maybe one of the bigger ones go on the smaller bolt as well. could someone tell me if its differant.

Thanks for all the replys and help.

xeroinfinity
01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
The wires are pretty easy !

The two big ones goto the large connector, which is also where the battery connects to.
And the small one goes on the small bolt.

shep18
01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
you say "which is also where the battery connects too" so is there 4 wires or just the 3?

xeroinfinity
01-09-2007, 08:40 PM
You should have 1 tiny loop that goes to the bolt.

Where the positive cable connects to the starter,
is also where the big looped wires go, if you have two that is.

I tried finding a pic but Google was useless :headshake

hopefully you dont have a birds nest like this ....
http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/medium/0900823d800e4edf.gif

Hows this look?
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/xeroinfinity/11X17RW24/starter3.jpg

shep18
01-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah im almost positive i have it connected to the starter right. I decided to take the battery in today and have it tested and it tested bad. They said it has a bad cell so i was like sweet i think i may have found my problem so i purchased a new battery and hooked it up and still got nothing so im pretty sure its the wiring to the starter so my dad is having a jumper cable made so we can hook it up directly from the battery to the starter and if we get it to start i think we will just take it down to the mechanics shop and have them fix the electrical problem. Im even thinking it may be the ignition switch now who knows. I will post with results soon and let u know what we get.

Thanks for all the replays.

xeroinfinity
01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
It very well could be the ignition switch.

Good Luck.

Mickey#1
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Did you check the fuses?
You can check for 12 volts between the small wire & ground while the key is in the start position.

If you have 12 volts then either the starter solenoid is bad, the starter is bad or your not getting power through the large wire that connects the battery to the starter.

If you are not getting 12 volts then you have either a blown fuse, bad ignition switch, bad park/neutral switch or a bad/disconnected wire.

xeroinfinity
01-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Mickey#1, we've done coverd that :grinyes:

shep18
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah im to the park/neutral switch now i am thinking its got a bad wire or the switch is bad. Because the battery is now brand new and its 13 volts but i got no volts on the wires at the starter so i have just went to the dealer and got the electrical starting diagram and it shows thats what is between the battery and the starter. So im going to see if i have power at that switch or at those wires and i will post back with results.

Thanks

xeroinfinity
01-11-2007, 05:58 PM
YA forgot about the PN safty switch.
If thats bad you get simular conditions you are experiancing.

Let us know what you find out.

gmack221
01-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Yeah im to the park/neutral switch now i am thinking its got a bad wire or the switch is bad. Because the battery is now brand new and its 13 volts but i got no volts on the wires at the starter so i have just went to the dealer and got the electrical starting diagram and it shows thats what is between the battery and the starter. So im going to see if i have power at that switch or at those wires and i will post back with results.

Thanks

Everything else inside the car is working right? (radio, power windows, ect ..)
what im getting at is there are fuseable links that connect to the starter where the positive battery cable attaches, its possible one of those got fried and now your not getting power to the ignition system ... just a thought

if you have a wiring diagram then your well on your way to finding the problem, sorry if were not more help, its difficult to diagnosis some problems without seeing the car ...

Aki334
01-12-2007, 05:27 PM
yes fusible links can be good answer for this one. If your car has that big fuses on stereoids (big maxi fuses) than you do not have fusible links. look for fuses near your battery, open that black cover and see if you have those big fuses. If not check for continuity with the beep function on your DVOM from starter to battery try to fallow the wires. Engine off do not forget when testing for resistance. If you hear beep for all wires from point a to z for each wire then they are good.

check if oil level sensor connector is properly connected. Maybe PCM does not see closed circuit in your case thinking that oil level sensor is bad, and not allowing your engine to start adn damage your engine. You probably have enoug oil but connectors could be bad.

see if you connected oil level sensor properly. Sometimes PCM will not let your car start if it senses problem with oil level sensor and engine oil level. This is so that you do not damage your engine by starting it with low or without oil.

shep18
01-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Well on the fusable links i believe my car has them but there not actually fuses there where the wire gets smaller(thinner) so that they will just break and one of those was almost fryed but we fixed that wire but that's not what was wrong. We actually found the problem tonight my dad finally got pissed and grabed the battery cable that goes down to the starter and ripped it out and we found a 3rd wire that wasn't on the starter it was hidden really good because I looked for hours for more wires thinking early on that we may have missed a wire that we didnt hook up. So apparently there is 3 wires on top(bigger bolt) and 1 wire on the bottom(small bolt). But ohh well we hooked it up and the car started right up. I would just like to thank everyone for there info and helpful tips.

THANKS ALL!

gmack221
01-13-2007, 02:13 AM
glad to hear you got it fixed ... just to bad you spent so much time when it was a simply a wire not connected.

shep18
01-13-2007, 02:15 AM
Well on the fusable links i believe my car has them but there not actually fuses there where the wire gets smaller(thinner) so that they will just break and one of those was almost fryed but we fixed that wire but that's not what was wrong. We actually found the problem tonight my dad finally got pissed and grabed the battery cable that goes down to the starter and ripped it out and we found a 3rd wire that wasn't on the starter it was hidden really good because I looked for hours for more wires thinking early on that we may have missed a wire that we didnt hook up.:banghead: So apparently there is 3 wires on top(bigger bolt) and 1 wire on the bottom(small bolt). But ohh well we hooked it up and the car started right up. I would just like to thank everyone for there info and helpful tips.

THANKS ALL!

xeroinfinity
01-13-2007, 10:49 AM
I thought thier should be more then the 3 wires, but you said you only removed 3.

Glad you got it fixed ! :thumbsup:

Thankx and you are welcome :D

Add your comment to this topic!