Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

aluminium block engines

Katsura
01-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi, I've been painting aluminium block engines with Alclad2 aluminium, but not quite fond of the finish, it looks a bit too shiny for my liking, what other paints would you recommend? Cheers.

tigeraid
01-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi, I've been painting aluminium block engines with Alclad2 aluminium, but not quite fond of the finish, it looks a bit too shiny for my liking, what other paints would you recommend? Cheers.

I like to use Testors "steel," which surprisingly looks more like dirty aluminum than steel :screwy:

Sometimes I mix it up and use regular silver, but then give it a flat black wash, which helps as well.

Mr. Me.
01-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Tamiya XF16 maybe?

MPWR
01-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Alclad aluminum is for recreating the bare aluminum finish on aircraft skins- it's much too shiney for cast alumium engine parts.

Try something like Tamiya acrylic flat aluminum- the finish looks spot on, and the slight grainyness is perfect for a cast appearence.

Mr. Me.
01-08-2007, 12:10 PM
MPWR, whats the difference between acrylic and enamel? I think they are a like...

MPWR
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
To put it simply, acrylic paints are water based/compatable, and enamels are based on oil/mineral spirits. Chemically they're very different.

rallymaster
01-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Citadel paints are the best for that.
I use three different ones to represent clear aluminium, dark aluminium and bolt metal.
It also exist gold and bronze in several tones.
they really are the best and moreover are acrylic paints, so very easy to use and wash in case of mispaint.
they are provided in Games Worshop hobby stores.

Phil

lumpulus
01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I used MM Metalizer Steel, and flat coat it.

924_CarreraGTS
01-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Model Master Metalizer aluminum, airbrushed. It is very realistic. For an engine, you might want to cover it with a wash to make it look dirty. But otherwise, it is a highly realistic looking finish. Why would you use steel Metalizer when aluminum is available? :screwy: I have both, and they are notably different.

slk320
01-08-2007, 05:47 PM
I use Testors Metallizer brand for all my finishes - they are the most realistic bare metal finishes in my opinion.

Also you can play with variations of semi-gloss or dull laquer on the regular Silverleaf Tamiya can...the various applications of dull coat will make the part look more flat, more unfinished metal-like.

daklunk
01-08-2007, 07:14 PM
MM Aluminum metalizer, airbrush or spray can, gives it a little bit of a grainy cast texture, and Tamiya Smoke wash. if you don't like the shiney the wash can give you, hit it with dull coat. Me likes :icon16:

rsxse240
01-08-2007, 10:49 PM
the BEST finish I have ever seen for an aluminum block is model master buffing metalizer airbrushed on, NOT BUFFED, and coated with a semigloss. then weather it as you like.

JTRACING
01-08-2007, 10:54 PM
I use Krylon Dull Aluminum spray paint, you can find it in any hardware store

http://content.bolt.com/uploads3/photo/6/2/3/6/5/9/623659/large/1151035747485.jpg

mooble117
01-09-2007, 05:09 PM
I use XF-16 with a black or smoke wash.

Mr. Me.
01-12-2007, 09:03 AM
MPWR, I know that they are different. but i think that the colour is same

gionc
01-12-2007, 09:31 AM
the BEST finish I have ever seen for an aluminum block is model master buffing metalizer airbrushed on, NOT BUFFED, and coated with a semigloss. then weather it as you like.

I agree, also MM sealer is ok as a matt convincing finishing: I tried all AlcladII gamma and how everyone know they're great but for casted rough alu best way to me is MM alu metalizer, not buffed ;)

MPWR
01-12-2007, 09:53 AM
MPWR, I know that they are different. but i think that the colour is same

It depends on the manufacturer. Tamiya enamels aren't distributed in the US, so I can't speak for them. Model Master enamals and acryls are pretty close in color. Usually if a manufacturer puts out two different lines of paint, they will use the same pigment formulations. But whether colors will look identical is hard to say.

There seem to be plenty of opinions on what is the best finish for cast aluminum, everyone has their favorite. I've used Tamiya acrylics on engines for years and have been pretty happy with the results. But last year out of curiosity I decided to try Metalizers and acrylics on the 360 engine. I was really surprized at how little difference there was. I used metalizer steel for the valve covers and aluminum on the engine block. I also used Tamiya flat aluminum on the frame. When everything is put together, I simply couldn't tell any difference. They all looked good, but the metalizer looked no different from the acrylics. The difference between the aluminum and steel metalizer was so subtle that it was hardly worth the effort to spray them in different colors (honestly the real difference is that the steel came out grainier). :dunno: Chrome or shiney aluminum would have looked wrong, but flat grainy metal was flat grainy metal. So I'll probably stick with what's easiest to use, and for me that's usually Tamiya acrylics.

oregon3
01-12-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree with MPWR.

JB

Eric Cole
01-12-2007, 10:29 AM
I use Krylon Dull Aluminum spray paint, you can find it in any hardware store

Amen to that!!. That's what I use for all of my dull aluminum needs as well. Like James says, you can find it fairly easy, and it's real easy to use. If you want it a little more reflective, I have found that you can buff it like you would a testors metalizer for more of a polished look. To darken it use a thin wash of flat black.

freakmech
01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Alclad makes a Dull Aluminum and a Semi gloss Aluminum as well, FYI, thats what i use. I like MM Metalizers but they rub off on everything so becareful.

mikemechanic
01-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Alclad makes a Dull Aluminum and a Semi gloss Aluminum as well, FYI, thats what i use. I like MM Metalizers but they rub off on everything so becareful.
That is my complaint with Metalizer's. Also they are becoming hard to find in my city. Most hobby shops carry Alclad so that's what I use.

Mike.

Add your comment to this topic!