Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just got an MR2!!

Georgieo101
01-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I just put a down payment on a 91 MR2 hardtop. It has a turbo swap, but the engine is busted and in pieces, so granted on got a great deal on it. I can't wait to get my hands on it and start wrenching. Will probably be asking you guys for a lot of help, so please bare with me :) Just excited and thought you guys would appreciate that.

ac427cpe
01-09-2007, 12:15 PM
congrats on the buy :) hardtops are tough to come by.

Georgieo101
01-14-2007, 07:30 PM
I have a few questions for people with more experience with these cars then myself.

1. It came with an JDM engine, and LSD tranny. Only thing missing is the block, since it was bad any way. How do I tell what gen 3sgte I have, and will any gen block/pistons/crank shaft fit it?

2. The interior is blue... which is a must change to me. Anyone know a place that sells used dashboards, carpets, stearing wheels, ect?

3. I need a repair manual. Will the one made for the american MR2 turbo work for the JDM engine? and is there like a Hyanes maual, or something better i should be looking at.

4. I don't have enough time to really do a good job on the engine and put it in there, need a car that drives soon. So i am thinking about putting a slightly used JDM engine in there right now, and slowly fix the old one in my spare time. Any ideas on where I can find a good engine? i know ebay has selling companys that will import one for you, for pretty cheap. Or am i just being naive?

Thanks for the help. Also if there are some good threads that i should read, i have been reading the threads non-stop, but there are a lot to look though.

jBz
01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
If you really want to get the car up and running, just swap in a 5SFE. You should be able to get them for cheap, OR, you can stick with a N/A 3SGE. I've always wanted to toss in an Altezza RS200 3SGE with Dual VVT-i and get it stroked to 2.2. Yum.

Georgieo101
01-15-2007, 07:55 PM
I have been reading around some more and a JDM engine seems like a bad idea, but where the heck can I find a low miles USDM 3sgte? I can only seem to find JDM ones. Anybody?

klohiq
02-07-2007, 09:01 AM
I have been reading around some more and a JDM engine seems like a bad idea, but where the heck can I find a low miles USDM 3sgte? I can only seem to find JDM ones. Anybody?

lol good luck...best bet would be a 5s for awhile until you can get the jdm engine all set to drop in.

Add your comment to this topic!