Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dashboard Lighting Out

JAY56
01-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Need Help!!! My Lighting In Dashboard Went Out Needed To Know If It Is A Fuse And If So Where Is That Fuse Located Please Help!! 1992 FORD EXPLORER pretty much everything on the dash that is able to be dim.

Dr98
01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Okay,

To start with the basic stuff. Make one post for your topic. Put your post title as " Need Help urgently, my dash lights are out".

Next specifics of your vehicle model year, etc.

Go here to download your owners manual- https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

Then check your fuse panel inside the truck.

Edit- I just noticed the link I gave above, doesn't have owners manual for 1995 and earlier. Sorry about that.

Dr98

poormans96exploder
02-08-2007, 01:53 AM
I just replaced all of the dash lights in my 96 explorer, and it is no fun at all. You need to literally start on the trim under the dash and work your way up, as well as possibly taking out the entire radio assembly area to get the hidden screw behind the dash trim. The lights were expensive (about6-8$ a pack) but replace all of them because it takes quite a while to do so. Also, you will need several different sockets and such to get your way up!

way2old
02-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Look at the fuse panel under the dash. There should be a 10 amp fuse in position 13. This is what gives current to the dash. Check it to be sure it is not blown.

shorod
02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Are the lights for the radio button backlights, door lock and power window switches, etc. also out, or only the ones in the instrument cluster? I know you typed "dashboard" but just want to make sure that's what you meant.

-Rod

Kaobb
02-10-2007, 06:48 AM
This sounds pretty crazy and you have probably already done it but...... make sure the "thumb wheel" for dashboard brightness is not turned off. I had this happen to me once either my kids were messing with it or the guys at the car wash accidentally turned it off while cleaning the interior.

I believe the Germans call this the "einstellung' effect (People may become biased by experience to prefer certain approaches to a problem, which may block the solution in a particular case — the einstellung effect ....)

A related short story.... one day this guy noticed his shower would not drain. He used drain un-clogger stuff etc. Nothing worked. So, he decided to tear into it a repair the pipes. He had ripped into it pretty good when all the sudden he looked down and noticed the little lever that controls the drain hole of the tub and it was three-quarters pulled in the plug drain position. Viola.... the root cause of the problem.
Anyway, good luck fixing your lights....
K
BTW_ Rod is one of the best fix-it guys I know!

Wanababoardr
02-25-2007, 07:01 PM
I have a 95 Ford Explorer which i love to death. Recently while heading up to go snowboarding I noticed the left side of my instrument cluster went out, then came back and then back out again. Gotta love Fords right?

How much work am i gonna have to do to replace that light? Should i just replace all of them once i get her opened up?

Add your comment to this topic!