Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cold Air Intake for my 04 Accord?...

Ricko N
01-07-2007, 12:08 PM
In attempt to improve fuel economy I'm considering installing a K&N Cold air intake on my 04 Accord (2.4L motor, auto trans).

I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to running these things such as driving in heavy rain or very cold weather.

Also, does anyone have any idea of what kind of fuel econmy improvement I might expect? K&Ns web page claims a 3.8hp increase at 5K rpms but makes no specific claim of fuel economy improvement.

Thanky for your thoughts!

BrodyP
01-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Cold air intakes could cause a serious problem to your engine. They sit lower in your engine bay sucking in air from under the car. Sometimes this leads to it also sucking up water. Your engine can get water logged if you were to say go driving in heavy rain where you might hit a huge puddle. Have you considered just changing the filter or maybe getting just a intake not the cold air model. If CA is what your set on then they also make a bypass attachment for $50 bucks that can be inserted to prevent the intake from sucking up water if it were to be lodged.

The CAI wont give you ANY noticeable gains in hp. Better fuel economy debatable, but surely nothing to talk about. It will make your car louder when you get on the throttle which in turn can be something your interested in or just a headache.

Add your comment to this topic!