Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

radio removal for 2000 mazda protege

PaulD
01-06-2007, 07:38 PM
ok, how do I get to the radio/cubby hole to remove it ? I pried off the ring around the radio, heater A/C, vent and disconnected the emergency flasher connector. Seems that all the heater/ AC wiring is keeping it in, I can only pull it out so far. To make matters worse, the genius engineer put the screws holding the htr/ ac stuff on the backside .... and all the mechanical linkages are attatched to the htr/ac assembly. I really don't want to disassemble the whole dash in vain to try and get to it.

jtvyper456
01-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Might be able to get in from uner the steering wheel or by taking the glovebox out, just have to take the bottom panels out, not 100% on that though.

pimprolla112
01-07-2007, 03:57 AM
Couldnt find much on google and ive never done a newer mazda, but if worse comes to worse i found this

http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/stereoremovalMazdaProtege99_02P.htm

ID pay $.99 before i rip a dash apart going blindly.

bjboertje
01-07-2007, 02:36 PM
if it is anything like my ZX2 there is a cable running from the back of the radio/climate control unit that controls the temp. It goes down to the driver's side and attaches to a round knob. You have to pinch the plastic pins and pull straight out and it will come off, then you can pull the radio out farther with everything attached and remove it.

Add your comment to this topic!