Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

In need of some help

VR43000GT
01-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Ok, so I decided to try and get my car working today. Let me explain this as best as I can.

One day I was driving and my car just all the sudden stalled without warning. I started it back up and didn't think too much about it. It later quits agian on me that night but will not start this time. So the next day I go back to get my car and it starts up just fine. I drove it to my brother's house near by as it would not stay running for long at all. There is no CEL either unless I unplug the intake piping which of course a CEL is expected then. Now that it is at my brother's place, here is the situation:

*Whenever left for a day or two the car will start right up and idle fine for about 3 minutes or so and then without warning shut off.

*When you spray starter fluid it will start up momentarily and then quit.

*There is not always spark on every plug yet every single time without fail if starter fluid is sprayed it starts up for a brief time.

*I replaced the fuel filter (which by the way busted the living shit out of my pointer finger) and it did nothing. I also took off the connector between the two fuel rails and when turning over gas shot out like water out of a garden hose.

*In summary:

So it will start every time if given starter fluid even if it is short lived. And yet it does not always get spark (at least to every plug). However, when left alone for a day or two it starts up right away with ever cylinder firing and then all the sudden shuts off.

Any ideas would be great.

Thourun
01-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Sounds like a weak spark due to somthing to me, battery or coils maybe?

VR43000GT
01-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Battery works great and is new. That is one thought that crossed my mind is possibly the coils. But no matter what, it always starts on starter fluid and not gas. I know starter fluid is extremely flammable but even still the gas should still ignite sometimes. And why would the coils work great if left alone for a day or better (even leaving it alone for 7-8 hours does no good) but not after 3 or less minutes of use?

Igovert500
01-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Dammit, just wrote out a whole thing and it got deleted. OK, so random thoughts

a) starter fluid is probably more flammable than 91 octane, weaker spark would have easier time igniting it.

b) Perhaps not all the fuel is being burnt and the engine is flooding due to weak/inconsistent spark. Which potentially could cause start up trouble, and it's easier after it sits for awhile, because the fuel is leaking past your rings. Pull the oil cap, do you smell oil??? If so obviously change it and hte filter so you don't spin a bearing.

c) no longer sounds like fuel problem...spark is obviously not working correctly, so start with that and see if it fixes it. Swap in some cheap coppers, check/change the wires, coils (http://www.stealth316.com/2-ignitioncoils.htm), and PTU (http://www.stealth316.com/2-pwrtransunit.htm)

Add your comment to this topic!