Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

vibration problem

wings_ky
01-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I having problem with my front axle, when i speed up to around 60 and let off the gas there is a loud vibration and noise coming from my front end, i though it was the tie rod, so i had it check and replace, i also had the rear bearing and axle replace. But the vibration didn't go away, I was wondering does anyone know what could have cause this.

I looked under the car the other day and notice that a brakect is just hanging there, i not sure where it go though, I think i is mounted from the tranmission to the axle but not sure either?

I drive a 96 Eagle Tsi AWD

david-b
01-05-2007, 04:12 PM
The hanging piece sounds like the problem. At least that's the first place to start. Take it in to see what it is. Maybe take a pic and post it up. Sounds like maybe a tranny problem however. Where is this bar coming from?

4g63gst20
01-05-2007, 05:49 PM
i had that same problem before i sold my rs, and i'm thinking it was the brearings(sp)? you know the bearings that go in where the front hub is. am i being specific?

well here's a pic
http://www.scirocco20v.co.uk/Rear_bearings/6.jpg

wings_ky
01-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I took it to midas and they told me that my tie rod and my rear bearing was going out so i had those replace but when i run it from 0 to 60 it would be fine until i let off the gas, but the vibration would continue untill i reach a low speed then it would stop. could this be my front wheel bearing or something else.

eclipsed at 3am
01-06-2007, 10:45 AM
try to go someplace with a wide open area, or like a long empty expressway, and get up to 60mph or so, and then jerk the wheel to the left or right quickly, but safely, you know what i mean? not enough to spin out the car or anything lol. usualyl if its a bearing in the front, the noise wll go away if you turn a certain way, therefore putting more stress on either the left or right side(more stress or relieving stress?). i think the rule of thumb is, if you turn hard left and the noise goes away, its your right side bearing, and vice versa.

i have the same problem, except the noise is there from about 30mph, and gets worse up until 60mph, and then i can barely hear it after that. im just gonna say its road noise lol.

l_eclipse_l
01-06-2007, 01:57 PM
I would make sure and rule out the obvious things first, like get an alignment and balance the tires. Also, have them check and make sure you don't have a bent rim.

wings_ky
01-07-2007, 12:10 PM
well i went under the car the other day, and saw that the bearing bracket is hanging there, i think that might be the problem, but i an not sure, also the bolt on the bracket snaped off half way in the hole where it is mount, does anyone know do i have to drop the whole tranmission to redrill out the hole and tap it, or is there another way?

The bracket bearing goes on the axle to the tranmission, on the left front side.

gthompson97
01-07-2007, 01:26 PM
The bracket that's hanging down is the axle support? If so, then that's whats causing all your problems and if you drive it anymore like that, you'll be replacing that axle too. You should be able to take and drill a hole into the bolt and use an EZ Out to get the bolt out.

Add your comment to this topic!