Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Bolts?!?

Mikelb
01-05-2007, 09:08 AM
My old transmission was apparently taken in and out too many times... The bolts that fit it, will not fit the new one. The old transmissions bolts are too big in diameter...

Can anyone tell me what size bolts I need to buy for the transmission mount (2 bolts, on the engine mount for transmission)... I need to know by 5 this afternoon, parts are supposed to be in, going to pick them up and reassembly will hopefully continue tomorrow...

MT-2500
01-05-2007, 09:48 AM
My old transmission was apparently taken in and out too many times... The bolts that fit it, will not fit the new one. The old transmissions bolts are too big in diameter...

Can anyone tell me what size bolts I need to buy for the transmission mount (2 bolts, on the engine mount for transmission)... I need to know by 5 this afternoon, parts are supposed to be in, going to pick them up and reassembly will hopefully continue tomorrow...

Make year and model would help.
But from what you described One trans may be metric and one SAE bolts.
You may have to get both and use the one that fits.
Good Luck
MT

Mikelb
01-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Make year and model would help.
But from what you described One trans may be metric and one SAE bolts.
You may have to get both and use the one that fits.
Good Luck
MT

Sry, that info was in my Sig...

1991 Eagle Talon Tsi (FWD) 5-speed...

The new transmission I b/l is from a 1990.

MT-2500
01-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Sry, that info was in my Sig...

1991 Eagle Talon Tsi (FWD) 5-speed...

The new transmission I b/l is from a 1990.

Sorry I missed reading the sig.
It sounds like one is metric bolts and one is SAE bolts.
Good luck

Mikelb
01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
it's all good... I should have stated that the car was listed in sig... I'll take the bolts I used in the first and buy some a few steps smaller, and return the one's I dont need (if possible)...

MT-2500
01-05-2007, 10:36 AM

You may have to select fit to get the right bolt.
If you have some old bolts laying around see it you can find one that will screw in .
Also check the hole depth with a small screw driver or slim measuring stick.
Do not get one to long.
Measure hole depth with a small screw driver.
Find a parts place with a good selection of bolts and see if you can match anything up.
If your old bolts are to big get a smaller one in SAE or metric or both and try them.
Good luck

gthompson97
01-05-2007, 12:38 PM
99% of the bolts on these cars are metric. I know some use 19MM sockets, and some use 17MM sockets, it that helps at all.

Mikelb
01-05-2007, 12:55 PM
99% of the bolts on these cars are metric. I know some use 19MM sockets, and some use 17MM sockets, it that helps at all.

I knew that much... and that's how I know that the bolts on the old one weren't correct, I think they were either a 21 or 23...

What I need to know is the diameter, length, and thread pitch...

gthompson97
01-05-2007, 04:14 PM
The thread pitch should be the same, and the lenght, just get something close, and then just get a smaller/bigger diamater for what you need.

Add your comment to this topic!