Changed trans fluid in 98 Grand Caravan & added Trans X fluid to help leak,is this ok

lindseylu
01-05-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi, I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. We have a tranny leak. We had it looked at and were told to get the tranny serviced and then add Trans X fluid. We took it to Jiffy Lube and they changed out the fluid and replaced the filter and added the Trans X fluid. Our van has 110k miles. I am worried because now I am reading that your not supposed to change the trans fluid after 75k miles or it could hurt the tranny. And by the way, none of this helped the leak, it's still leaking! Help!

RIP
01-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Based on everything I've read on several forums you are worrying about the wrong facts. Anytime you put anything in the tranny besides ATF-4 you are taking a big chance. I'm guessing X Trans is some kind of leak stopper. Putting anything like that in it is about the worst thing you can do.

Why you wouldn't change fluid beyond 75k miles is beyond me. Read your manual. I believe it says change it every 30K miles. I've got 195K miles on my 96 GC and I change the tranny fluid anually. In that respect, you've got nothing to worry about.

Bite the bullet and get the leak fixed correctly and soon. Tell them to drain the torgue converter, which they probably have to anyway, and put nothing but ATF-4 fluid in it. Make sure they flush the cooler too. Cheers.

Where is it leaking from? The forward pump seal went on mine a while back. Fluid was collecting on top and trickling down the sides. Cost $700 to fix.

Rawtorque
01-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Trans-X?? Yikes!!

NEVER USE STOP LEAK FLUIDS IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS. MANY
CONTAIN BRAKE FLUID, WHICH WILL RUIN ALL YOUR SEALS IN IT!!:nono:

I can't say about ALL addiitives, but the danger is there. Get the seal fiixed the right way, and now you better get the fluid flushed out as well.

The only additives I ever use are Problend or LubeGard since a number of shops use those. Note that these don't fix leaks. I would not use the Lubegard additive to "convert" Dexron to ATF+4 since I'm still waiting for documentation on how good that is. The Mopar anti-foam additive is probably OK to use, but also won't fix leaks.:banghead:

There has been some issues with the pump bushing not being the right size for proper clearance. There is an aftermarket fix for this. But your leak could be as simple as an o-ring in the dipstick tube.

lindseylu
01-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Trans-X?? Yikes!!

NEVER USE STOP LEAK FLUIDS IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS. MANY
CONTAIN BRAKE FLUID, WHICH WILL RUIN ALL YOUR SEALS IN IT!!:nono:

I can't say about ALL addiitives, but the danger is there. Get the seal fiixed the right way, and now you better get the fluid flushed out as well.

The only additives I ever use are Problend or LubeGard since a number of shops use those. Note that these don't fix leaks. I would not use the Lubegard additive to "convert" Dexron to ATF+4 since I'm still waiting for documentation on how good that is. The Mopar anti-foam additive is probably OK to use, but also won't fix leaks.:banghead:

There has been some issues with the pump bushing not being the right size for proper clearance. There is an aftermarket fix for this. But your leak could be as simple as an o-ring in the dipstick tube.

Thank you for your advice. If Trans X is that bad for automatic transmissions then why doesnt it say that on the back of the can? I had no idea!

lindseylu
01-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Based on everything I've read on several forums you are worrying about the wrong facts. Anytime you put anything in the tranny besides ATF-4 you are taking a big chance. I'm guessing X Trans is some kind of leak stopper. Putting anything like that in it is about the worst thing you can do.

Why you wouldn't change fluid beyond 75k miles is beyond me. Read your manual. I believe it says change it every 30K miles. I've got 195K miles on my 96 GC and I change the tranny fluid anually. In that respect, you've got nothing to worry about.

Bite the bullet and get the leak fixed correctly and soon. Tell them to drain the torgue converter, which they probably have to anyway, and put nothing but ATF-4 fluid in it. Make sure they flush the cooler too. Cheers.

Where is it leaking from? The forward pump seal went on mine a while back. Fluid was collecting on top and trickling down the sides. Cost $700 to fix.

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately our car did not come with a manual, we bought it used. We do need to get a hold of one.

Go to the thread "transmission fluid#@^&#^#", it is under Chev Lumina. That is where I had read about not changing out the fluid in a car with higher miles.

I am not sure where the leak is leaking from on the tranny.

RIP
01-06-2007, 02:06 AM
I read the Lumina thread. All I can say is it vindicates my reasoning for never buying a Chevy. Recommend you stick to the Caravan forum for Caravan info.

Here's a link for a manual. There are others. You could always get one from the dealer. As I recall I think you can get them off the Dodge website.
http://cootersautomanuals.com/catalog/dodge-c-13.html?page=1&sort=4a

RIP
01-06-2007, 02:45 AM
I read up on TransX a bit. Couldn't find much but, it appears to not be as bad as I thought it was. I still wouldn't use it. I was picturing an additive that had tiny particles in it that filled a hole and stopped the leak. Actually it chemically swells gaskets so they will fill any gaps and stop a leak. Some swear by it, some say avoid using it. It's made by K and M Products.

My fear would be it's long term effects on internal gaskets and seals. One expert who didn't recommend it said it is faster acting than many leak stop additives which leads you to believe the "active ingrediant" is either stronger or has a higher content per can compared to others. The transmission is widely known as the Chrysler Corp Minivans weak spot. Treat it well and it will treat you well...half the time.

Add your comment to this topic!