Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Acura/ Motor

Ian Szgatti
01-04-2007, 06:51 PM
I drive a domestic model car. I have put over 280,000 kilometers on it and it runs very nice. I'm a mechanic so I know how to keep it running a long time.

Being a worn 3300 auto, it does use a lot of gas as I drive about 60 kilometers a day to and from work. Some customer with a used car lot down the street offered me a five speed Acura something... a 91 four door. Sure, its nice inside... it was given a new timing belt, two wheel bearings, some brake work... but it still has 250,000 kilometers on it. Now I know imports are supposed to be good... but knowing what I know, any car is only as good as its owner is to it.

I want a car that is light, economical, aerodynamic, and standard. This car has those qualities. My questions are to any of the more technically oriented and are as follows:

1. What is it mechanically, or by design, that makes these engines good?

2. Is there anything of specific interest about the pistons or valve train
that make for a good long lasting engine?

The fella wants 2100 bucks for this car. I'm quite sure I could get it for a whole lot less... but I could also get an early ninties GM for 500 bucks that I know would at least run a long time. Advice on this would be great. Thanks...

Greenblurr93
01-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Magic...thats what makes Honda motors run so long.... no, but seriously they are just designed very well.... although 250k? and he wants 2100? id go else where. But at least your looking for the right car. :) good luck

Add your comment to this topic!