Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear end and shifting trouble

frizbal
01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
99 3.8 camaro. I think the rear end is going out. It whines over the speed of 45 and when i turn one direction it makes a metallic grinding noise. And also i jacked the rear end up and put it in drive and one tire drove at normal speed, but at idle the other tire just shook a little. When i gave it gas the "shaking tire" would speed up but didn't speed up as the other did, is this another sign of it going out? Also, my car shifts rough in first gear when it gets warm. After that i think it shifts fine. When its cold it seems to shift fine. I've recently changed the tranny fluid and and filter. I'll check the fluid level again, but any suggestions to what this could be? U-joint? or could the rear end be doing this also?

FormulaLT1
01-05-2007, 03:09 PM
One of your differential bearings is shot. As for the tranny issue. Hard to say, too many possible causes.

frizbal
01-06-2007, 11:40 AM
One of your differential bearings is shot. As for the tranny issue. Hard to say, too many possible causes.

Is this an easy fix/repair? Or do i need a new rear end?

FormulaLT1
01-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Is this an easy fix/repair? Or do i need a new rear end?
The differential and rear axles would have to be removed to perform this, Its not super difficult but it should be performed by someone who knows how to install a set of gears. (if you had posi, it could also be a worn clutch pack but that would also involve removing the differential and axles)

frizbal
01-06-2007, 01:19 PM
alright thanks. and also as to the rough tranny. I got a the code p1870. I know that this is a tranny slippage. I only got it one time and it was the one time i've raced and had it just about pegged to the floor. I never got it again so i didnt worry about it. Think that would have anything to do with it shifting rough? And ive heard that there was a service update of some kind for the camaro for this code... anyone know what thats about?

Add your comment to this topic!