Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Minis on Fire??

freakray
09-23-2002, 06:46 AM
Hey guys,
This may sound stupid asking, but I have to ask just to prove somebody wrong.....
I was told this weekend to stay away from buying the new CooperS as they catch fire, apparently they have some sort of fuel system issue?
I don't even know why I am asking, because I feel like a fool for doing so, I find it EXTREMELY difficult to believe that BMW would allow a car on the roads that catches fire.
Thanks for the help:)

Ray

SilverLotus340R
09-23-2002, 02:16 PM
nah i havent heard ne thing about them...

although ford focus' are known to catch fire because (i believe) the fuel system... dont quote me on that ..but i do know a guy who lives around here that started his focus and drove it 2 miles to the store and it blew up....

SolTheHoelessPimp
09-23-2002, 07:24 PM
they either HAD a brake or fuel system issue, i can't remember which, but bmw recalled all of them to fix it.

Scott 02
01-29-2003, 04:07 PM
THe first batch that came out had trouble like that. They are fine now..not a problem since that i know of.

Jimster
03-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Nope whoever told you is BSing you- there would have been a recall if there was- and there has only been 1 recall for something totally unrelated :D

Scott 02
03-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Nope whoever told you is BSing you- there would have been a recall if there was- and there has only been 1 recall for something totally unrelated

Thanks Jim, That pisses me off now. Those dang people :mad: One of them happens to be on AF too.

450HPviper
03-27-2003, 09:23 AM
I think BMW is a trustworthy company.

Scott 02
03-29-2003, 04:07 AM
I would feel comfortable buying a BMW too.

Evomaniac
03-29-2003, 06:34 AM
i dislike bmw very much just my opinion though, they are so damn expensive, 50,000 for a m3 are you crazy! it suck's when all you can do is hook up your scooby like me, overall they are bad-ass car's but since i've seen the price tag on a m3 i've decided to avoid them for good.
-Dave:licker:

450HPviper
03-31-2003, 07:54 AM
Yes, they are expensive, but you know you are getting a good car.

kaoru-tochiro
03-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Evomaniac
i dislike bmw very much just my opinion though, they are so damn expensive, 50,000 for a m3 are you crazy! it suck's when all you can do is hook up your scooby like me, overall they are bad-ass car's but since i've seen the price tag on a m3 i've decided to avoid them for good.
-Dave:licker:

Well I'm happy for you, and for us, because the last thing we need is a poor person with no knowledge of cars, and very little class wanting a BMW. :) Thanks for your unfounded opinion!

Scott 02
03-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Well I'm happy for you, and for us, because the last thing we need is a poor person with no knowledge of cars, and very little class wanting a BMW. Thanks for your unfounded opinion!

Well said again. Its only an opinion though. Not much we can do to change it.:rolleyes:

kaoru-tochiro
03-31-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks:) How can he say that he doesn't like a car because its too expensive, he should hate himself then, not the car.:bloated:

Evomaniac
04-01-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by kaoru-tochiro
Thanks:) How can he say that he doesn't like a car because its too expensive, he should hate himself then, not the car.:bloated:

oh, everybody raise their hand,hahaha, like if this were an audience and clap.:rolleyes: I just got into the 400+ plus barrier from the dyno result's, I know you guy's will be more interested anyway's my scooby 2.5rs gave out at 7650rpm with 407hp and 347.tq, don't know why torque is low but i'm just happy about the horsepower level's, changing the ecu was well worth the money.
-Dave

Jimster
04-01-2003, 01:34 AM

oh, everybody raise their hand,hahaha, like if this were an audience and clap.:rolleyes: I just got into the 400+ plus barrier from the dyno result's, I know you guy's will be more interested anyway's my scooby 2.5rs gave out at 7650rpm with 407hp and 347.tq, don't know why torque is low but i'm just happy about the horsepower level's, changing the ecu was well worth the money.
-Dave

What good is horsepower without torque?????

As for the M3 being too expensive- 50,00 is actually damn good compared to the rest of the world who pay about 75,000- on top of that you have 343 bhp and RWD and a top interior waiting for you- and if you want more power- the aftermarket is massive for Bimmers

kaoru-tochiro
04-01-2003, 07:17 AM

-Dave

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP :bloated:

Evomaniac
04-01-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Jimster

What good is horsepower without torque?????

As for the M3 being too expensive- 50,00 is actually damn good compared to the rest of the world who pay about 75,000- on top of that you have 343 bhp and RWD and a top interior waiting for you- and if you want more power- the aftermarket is massive for Bimmers
yeah i know torque is low but not that low it's 347 for crying out loud, horsepower is more important to me, it's mad power, i haven't drag raced my car in a month, now with everything changed(cam's,ecu,hoses,piston's,connecting rod's and my c-turbo,exhaust,intake) I can probably manage high 11's instead of high 13's,hehe.the best thing i've done with my money is buy me 75 shot nos and a advanced mapped aftermarket ecu for my scooby.

m3 is more expensive in europe i know that but it does not actually have 343 bhp or does it?rwd is alway's a plus you get to launch better than with a fwd car like a civic and i know interior is nice and aftermarket for the m3 or any other 3,5 series bmw is big so yeah m3 is overall a nice good car to buy, but i still won't touch it,hehe.
-Dave

Evomaniac
04-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by kaoru-tochiro

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP :bloated:
damn you did a lot of copy and paste.
-Dave

kaoru-tochiro
04-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Welll...:bloated: ...getting back on the subjects about the Mini, I did a little searching and found that no, there aren't any MIni fires, but a few months back they did recall them to put a plastic ring on the gastanks' mouth. It seems that when you stick a fuel pump nozzle in the tank, static electricity could cause a sparc igniting a fire.

Evomaniac
04-02-2003, 08:06 PM
well took me some searching and I found a link that had all the info.
http://www.competitionpress.com/carnews/2001_stories/0702_headliner.mv

Apparently it happened to many of BMW's car's in 2002, not just the MINI.

kaoru-tochiro
04-02-2003, 08:42 PM

Apparently it happened to many of BMW's car's in 2002, not just the MINI.

Many BMWs? as in 1%?

not just the Mini? the mini didn't have problem overheating.

Evomaniac
04-02-2003, 10:27 PM
http://www.roadfly.org/mini/news/article.php?article_id=57
the MINI production started in 2001 and it had a fire hazard recall, 1 percent is maybe, maybe not,we may never know....:grey:
you actually think i was gonna read the link.:D

kaoru-tochiro
04-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Wait..it's not even 1%, it was like 4 cars, out of thousands.

A: If the drivers quept driving the cars if they overheated that's driver error, and I have never seen a car get burned for overheating.

B: some of these fires are not really fires, just smoke from the fan control unit burning itself out, smoke coming out of the hood is not quite a fire.

C: a small number of the recalled vehicles were outfitted with the faulty switch, BMW is responsible and recalling waaaay more cars than necesary, even if those cars were not outfitted with this fauty switch or not, there is nothing wrong with a recall it is just precautionary and that gesture only makes me more impressed with BMW.

D: The media loves to exagerate, these weren't really fires, you wan't to see a real car fire go to flamingfords.com.

and that Mini link only says that there's a recall, no information if there "were" any fires

Evomaniac
04-03-2003, 09:08 PM
damn that shi# got burnt to a crisp, again exageration.
-Dave

http://www.flamingfords.com/truck2.jpg

farbod
04-05-2003, 10:56 AM
wicked

Evomaniac
04-05-2003, 03:49 PM
yeah that is crazy, evil.
http://66.227.101.70/contrib/dvv/esmil.gif
my smily is too small, again exageration.
-Dave

farbod
04-06-2003, 03:43 AM
wierd where did you get that from

Evomaniac
04-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by farbod
wierd where did you get that from
get what???:confused:
http://66.227.101.70/contrib/dvv/esmil2.gif

farbod
04-09-2003, 12:45 PM
the picture its cool

Scott 02
04-10-2003, 08:45 PM
its ok, i don't care much for it anyhow.

Add your comment to this topic!