Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Engine Code PO136

The Fast Forester
01-03-2007, 11:19 PM
1999 Elantra with about 90,000 miles. Check engine light is on and off intermittently. It happened to come on while I was driving around yesterday so I pulled into Napa Auto Parts and they read a PO136 on their code reader. The employee there thought it might be an oxygen sensor code.

Records for this car indicate one of the oxygen sensors was replaced at about 65K. He said there are 2 of them though, one before the cat converter and one after in the exhuast line. Anybody have experience with this PO136 Code reading? Thanks for any info!

lowsonoma1999
01-04-2007, 09:55 AM
1999 Elantra with about 90,000 miles. Check engine light is on and off intermittently. It happened to come on while I was driving around yesterday so I pulled into Napa Auto Parts and they read a PO136 on their code reader. The employee there thought it might be an oxygen sensor code.

Records for this car indicate one of the oxygen sensors was replaced at about 65K. He said there are 2 of them though, one before the cat converter and one after in the exhuast line. Anybody have experience with this PO136 Code reading? Thanks for any info!

P0136 = O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

Which would be the oxygen sensor after the converter.

The Fast Forester
01-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the information John, I appreciate it.

The Fast Forester
01-05-2007, 10:24 PM
By the way how much does that sensor cost on average? Also, if I change it out will the check engine light automatically go off, or does it need to be re-set somehow?

lowsonoma1999
01-06-2007, 11:04 AM
There's a couple different options. I would need a VIN to figure out exactly which one you need. List is either $91.55 or $90.53. I can do $65.00 plus a few bucks for shipping for either one. The one that lists at $91.55 I have in stock. If you want to call me, I will be here until 1pm, eastern time today. Will be here 8-8 on Monday.

Might want to double check the connections on the sensor first, and make sure it connected nice and tight, and the wires aren't stretched at all first. The light might go out after replacing the sensor, but sometimes it takes awhile. I forget what year they started going to a certain amount of cycles before it would clear itself. There would probably still be a history code in the system though, even if the light goes out. Some auto parts stores will clear the codes for free for you if you want to go that route as well.

The Fast Forester
01-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the tips I'll check into it when I get some time to look at the car.

The Fast Forester
04-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok, finally getting around to swapping out the O2 sensor. Is there a diagram or insturctions you can send with the part John? And I assume this isn't the universal part you would send, but the original equipment piece with the wire connector right? VIN on the vehicle is KMHJF25FXXU841222. Also, after idling a while and shifting into gear I noticed some hesitation today....related to the O2 sensor you think? Or tranny...or fuel filter? Thanks for the help!

lowsonoma1999
04-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok, finally getting around to swapping out the O2 sensor. Is there a diagram or insturctions you can send with the part John? And I assume this isn't the universal part you would send, but the original equipment piece with the wire connector right? VIN on the vehicle is KMHJF25FXXU841222. Also, after idling a while and shifting into gear I noticed some hesitation today....related to the O2 sensor you think? Or tranny...or fuel filter? Thanks for the help!

It's pretty easy to swap, as long as it isn't seized in the exhaust pipe. It should be under the car, directly behind the flex part of the pipe. This would be a Hyundai part, nothing universal. Should plug right in. Check all your exhaust gaskets too and make sure you don't have any leaks. A leak in one of the gaskets can cause some false readings and throw that code as well. If it is the oxygen, it's the one I have in stock.

The hesitation could be a number of things. With 90k miles, when was the last time your transmission fluid was changed? This would cause more of a slip than a hesitation though. If it was a misfire, or another sensor causing the hesitation, it would throw the check engine light on as well, but I'm assuming it's already on because of the oxygen sensor. Might want to have the computer scanned again and see if any more codes are stored now.

The Fast Forester
04-27-2007, 10:17 PM
I was able to swap out the O2 sensor last Sunday, also put new spark plugs in. Found a sensor in stock at the Advance Auto Parts store nearest me. The old sensor looked like a piece of well used charcoal and took a breaker pipe on my wrench to get it out. It took till today (Friday) for the check engine light to go off, so I'm hoping it finally reset and all is well.

Now I want to change the tranny fluid, belts, air and fuel filters before my son takes off to college in August. Any how-to's out there on these things?

Thanks for all the help!

Add your comment to this topic!