Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Windshield Wiper Parking Problem

Chrispyski
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
For just over a year my windshield wipers ('95 Crown Vic) have been acting crazy, parking themselves in the full, upright position sometimes, stoping right where they are other times. They operate normally when turned on, but park themselves randomly when turned off.

I've never had this problem before so other than the obvious checking of fuses, I'm stumped. I've gone a year with this problem, but since I live the the NW and it rains alot, its getting rather irritating.

Any help anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated, Thanks.

cvpi guy
01-03-2007, 10:15 PM
i know ford had a recall for some if not all CVs for the wiper motors control unit so you may want to contact your dealer and ask if the recall was avail for your car and if its been done

hope it helps

sheebeehuh
01-04-2007, 09:04 AM
It's quite possible that it's the multi-function switch (MFS); the stalk on your steering column that turns the wipers on and off. They are known to go bad and can cause the wipers not to park correctly (among other things). They are relatively straight-forward to replace and should cost less than $100.

That's where I'd look first...

Chrispyski
01-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention but it was an old fleet vehicle, so I assume (perhaps too much) that they took care of the recall issue.

Looking at other peoples problems with the wipers on this car I'm presuming that it is the multi-function switch. While their problems are not exactally the same as mine, it seems to be most likely problem.

Thanks cvpi guy and sheebeehuh for all your help!

way2old
01-05-2007, 05:20 PM
99% of the time if the wipers are stopped in the upright position, the wiper motor park circuit is at fault. Replacement of the wiper motor cures it.

Chrispyski
01-05-2007, 06:09 PM
hmmm, now thats got me thinking.

I can remember excatally that things started malfunctioning after a big storm and the wipers had been on the fastest setting for around 2 hrs. A circuit makes more sence in this scenario.

Thanks for the help way2old, from looking at this message board you are quite wise when it comes to these things. That will be the first thing (and hopefully for this problem, the last) I replace.

jabhawk
01-08-2007, 10:35 PM
I had the same or similar problem with my 93. The arms would run fine but when I went to shut them off they would slowly swing up to the vertical position.

The wiper motor/transmission was the problem. The gears were worn and would not hold the arms down.

Had to replace the whole assembly on the cheap. The mechanic got a rebuilt unit from a junkyard and dropped it in for $110 total. he had the dickens of a time getting it to syncronize correctly. Working ok for last 8 months.

Jon

reekor
01-09-2007, 07:42 AM
A rebuilt unit from a junkyard? Is that something like buying a new used car?

I had the same or similar problem with my 93. The arms would run fine but when I went to shut them off they would slowly swing up to the vertical position.

The wiper motor/transmission was the problem. The gears were worn and would not hold the arms down.

Had to replace the whole assembly on the cheap. The mechanic got a rebuilt unit from a junkyard and dropped it in for $110 total. he had the dickens of a time getting it to syncronize correctly. Working ok for last 8 months.

Jon

jabhawk
01-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Ha Ha. No it is like saving $150 on the repair. ;)

Add your comment to this topic!