Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to override the auto-retract steering wheel of '95 Lexus LS400?

ronaldgr
09-23-2002, 03:46 AM
Help! How do I override the automatic retracting steering wheel of a 1995 Lexus LS400 when the keys are taken out? This is not mentioned in the manual. Normally, when the keys are inserted in the ignition, the steering wheel returns to its pre-programmed extended position. However, my car has problems that it sometimes does not extend all the way to the previous position. I tried to blow compressed air in the ignition slot to clean the contacts, but that didn't work.

How can I override this, or how can I get the steering wheel to extend all the way all the time when I put the keys back in? I've considered removing the fuse for the steering mechanism, but I won't be able to adjust the tilt-telescopic steering wheel anymore. Basically, I just don't want the steering wheel to automtically retract and tilt away only when I take the keys out.

1990Celsior
07-01-2003, 10:27 PM
On the left hand side of the steering column should be a 4 way toggle swtich which adjusts the steering wheel. Right beside it is a push switch which disables the auto retract of the steering wheel

ronaldgr
07-02-2003, 05:32 AM
1990Celsior,

Thanks for the reply, but I cannot find that button on the Lexus LS400's steering column. There's only the 4-way toggle switch on the left hand side. I even tried pressing that, but it wouldn't go in. I also looked in the owners manual, but there's no mention of that button. I think that there must be an ignition sequence somewhere that I can do to override this "Auto Tilt Away" function of the steering wheel.

EagerTech
09-02-2003, 06:28 PM
I just walked out to my 1992 LS400 and checked the column. Indeed, on the left side of the steering column under the signal stalk there is a square black button labeled "auto". It pushes in and out and is used to disable the automatic feature. In my car, instructions for this function are printed on a decal on the right side of the steering column in two languages. I tried this button, and it does disable this auto function.
Hope your car works the same as mine, given that it is a different year.

Add your comment to this topic!