Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Piston ring and head gasket size

airFS
01-03-2007, 08:01 PM
I'll hopefully be getting my clutch intalled this spring and while it's in the shop I think I migh have them replace the piston rings and head gasket because my car seems to be buring oil, but if that dosent work then I atleast know it's most likely not an internal problem, maybe the stock turbo. But any way I dont know what sizes to get for either of them. My internals are stock and if I would end up getting a new turbo I don't think I would push it past 20 psi. because it's my daily driver.

Piston rings: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hastings-Piston-Rings-95-99-TURBO-Eclipse-Galant-4G63T_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33623QQihZ013QQit emZ230063066013QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Head gasket:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cometic-MLS-Head-Gasket-Eclipse-Talon-Galant-4g63_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33665QQihZ010QQite mZ200057847390QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

-85.5mm bore
-86mm bore
-87mm bore

defiancy
01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I'll hopefully be getting my clutch intalled this spring and while it's in the shop I think I migh have them replace the piston rings and head gasket because my car seems to be buring oil, but if that dosent work then I atleast know it's most likely not an internal problem, maybe the stock turbo. But any way I dont know what sizes to get for either of them. My internals are stock and if I would end up getting a new turbo I don't think I would push it past 20 psi. because it's my daily driver.

Piston rings: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hastings-Piston-Rings-95-99-TURBO-Eclipse-Galant-4G63T_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33623QQihZ013QQit emZ230063066013QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Head gasket:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cometic-MLS-Head-Gasket-Eclipse-Talon-Galant-4g63_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33665QQihZ010QQite mZ200057847390QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

-85.5mm bore
-86mm bore
-87mm bore

You do know that they are going to have to take the pistons out of the block to change the rings right? You might think about shelling out two hundred or so bucks and get some new pistons as well.

I'm pretty sure that 85mm is the stock bore for our cars. I know that the 4g64 is 86.

Those rings in that link say on them that they are .040 oversize rings.

You need direct replacement stock rings.

Head gasket looks good though.

Thor06
01-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes. The stock 4g63 is 85mm bore. Also, I believe .040 over bore is equal to about 1mm so a .020 over bore is a 85.5mm.

gthompson97
01-04-2007, 05:10 AM
Dustin is right. .040= 1.016mm, so .040 over is roughly 86, which would make .080 over roughly 87 (oooo, big bore!)

If you're going to re-ring it and have it bored over (.020 recommended), you have to get new pistons, and if you do that you might as well just go for a full rebuild.

I still may be wrong though, but I'm too drunk to try and do the math right now. Maybe I'll try figure it out tomorrow....

defiancy
01-04-2007, 07:55 AM
I mean you could just replace the rings no problem. But it would be best to go ahead and replace the pistons while you are at it. The rods probably don't need to be replaced but you should look them over to make sure. And if you do end up replacing them it's always advised to go with 1g rods if you are going to remain stock.

And again you don't have to bore the block out at all, you can just have it honed. But again if you are going to have it apart you might as well get it bored out and get a little more displacement out of it.

airFS
01-04-2007, 02:46 PM
True, but I'm not looking to rebuild my engine. I just want to get rid of the the black smoke comeing out of my exhaust at full throttle. Do you guy's have any reccomendations? Should I even replace the rings or just only replace the head gasket??

gthompson97
01-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I don't think you quite understand. To replace the rings, you basically are re-building the engine, but you're just putting the old parts right back in (pistons, rods, bearings, etc). Replacing the rings is definitely not for the beginner, and probalby intermediate wrencher, you need to know what you're doing. Head must be pulled either way, but you can't just throw on a new set of rings, you gotta do some work to the cylinder walls too.

If you're blowing black smoke at WOT, that's fuel, not oil. Oil is more blue than black.

Black99GST
01-04-2007, 03:27 PM
:1: and i dont think a headgasket would cause any black smoke... lol it might make the exhaust smell sweat... but other then that... :2cents:

gthompson97
01-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Head gasket almost always causes white smoke. Bad rings causes blue smoke. Richness causes black smoke. I don't think you're chasing the right problem.... If you really think it's a HG or piston rings, do a compression test and that will tell you more what the problem is. Actually, do one anyways...

airFS
01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks...The only reason why I suggested this was because somebody told me I should try replacing them. For some reason whenever I add oil it turns into a bluish black so I was thinking some oil might be leaking some where internally..I guess I'll just keep on doing my reasearch.

gthompson97
01-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Does it burn any oil? So is it a blue color, or more black? Do a compression test, it will tell you alot about your engine.

airFS
01-05-2007, 07:14 PM
It's a bluish-black when ever I add oil so maybe its the engine trying to balance it all out, but I'm not shure because I only ever did one oil chance since I bought the car. But its mostly black now.

airFS
01-08-2007, 07:52 PM
So I was on DSM tuners and I read about a simple test I could do to tell if oil was leacking into the pistons. It said to take out a spark plug after you have been driving for a while and boosting reguraly and look for oil, so I did. When I took the one out the tip had turned white and there was some carbon on it underneath the threads, but there was no oil on it so I guess I dont need to replace the rings or really do anything internal. Maybe bad turbo seals??

airFS
01-08-2007, 09:47 PM
There is also a bunch of oil that keeps getting on my valve cover and it keeps coming back every time I clean it whenever I took off my spark plug cover today there was practically a pool of oil in it.

gthompson97
01-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Did you take out all 4 plugs, or just one? Can you tell where the oil on the VC is coming from?

airFS
01-09-2007, 05:32 AM
No, I just took one out. And I cant figure out where the oil is coming from. Maybe I'll take all the plugs out to day.

gthompson97
01-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Definitely pull out all of them and diagnose them one at a time, remembering which plug you took out of each hole. If you have rings worn, they all might not be acting the same (which I doubt is the problem anyways)

airFS
01-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Ya they all look the same, but as for the oil all over my valve cover it think I may have a bad oil cap..it that can happen. I could see the oil leaking all over, around, and out of it.

Add your comment to this topic!