Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 rodeo CODE 44!

mwm
01-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi ive been having troubles with my 1995 3.2L rodeo ever since i went 4x4in and passed throw a couple deep puddles. Its been running rich (im assuming because the black soot pouring out) It sputters when i give it gas and its barely running. I changed the plugs and made sure they all had spark. I did a disonostic thing i read about on here with a white plug under then drivers carpet and a wire and my check engine light flashes "12" and then "44" can anyone tell me what these codes mean? If i understood right its sapposed to flash "12" then the error causing code? But what does "44" mean? :confused:

stanger42
01-03-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't know what code 44 is but I hope you didn't suck any water into the engine... that's bad times for everything. Liquids don't compress so you can imagine what happens when your engine tries to compress it.

trooperbc
01-03-2007, 05:38 PM
.... If i understood right its sapposed to flash "12" then the error causing code? But what does "44" mean? :confused:

here's a link that lists the codes for you
http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/obd-i/bl-dtcs-74a.htm

it says:
44 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit

makes sense since it's down there on the exhaust just ahead engine side of the catalytic converter. check the wires and connector.

btw, you know that code 12 just tells you the computer is communicating, right>

hth

//bc

mwm
01-03-2007, 11:53 PM
here's a link that lists the codes for you
http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/obd-i/bl-dtcs-74a.htm

it says:
44 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit

makes sense since it's down there on the exhaust just ahead engine side of the catalytic converter. check the wires and connector.

btw, you know that code 12 just tells you the computer is communicating, right>

hth

//bc
Right on thanks alot I unplugged the sensor and it is running fine now, I guess its running on factory preset fuel amounts and such

RockinV
10-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Hi ive been having troubles with my 1995 3.2L rodeo ever since i went 4x4in and passed throw a couple deep puddles. Its been running rich (im assuming because the black soot pouring out) It sputters when i give it gas and its barely running. I changed the plugs and made sure they all had spark. I did a disonostic thing i read about on here with a white plug under then drivers carpet and a wire and my check engine light flashes "12" and then "44" can anyone tell me what these codes mean? If i understood right its sapposed to flash "12" then the error causing code? But what does "44" mean? :confused:

I have a 1995.5 Passport and have been having the same exact problem!!! It has hardly any power. And after driving it for a bit , the CEL comes on and I can't even get 3000 RPM out of her. She seems to be running rich (black smoke and strong exhaust smell) I cleaned the EGR valve, changed the plugs and wires, changed the air filter, changed the Fuel filter and cleaned out the intake.... Then I checked the codes :sly:.

I also have 12 and 44. So I took out the O2 sensor and will get a new one put in this weekend. I didn't try just disconnecting it?? I didn't think it would run right like that...?
Any way if any one has any other ideas beside the o2 sensor I will gladly accept any and all inputs.

95.5 Rodeo
10-11-2008, 12:23 PM
This sounds a lot like a problem I had in the past. It was the O2 sensor.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=258045

Don't forget to reset the computer after you replace the O2 sensor.

Dale

RockinV
10-11-2008, 02:50 PM
This sounds a lot like a problem I had in the past. It was the O2 sensor.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=258045

Don't forget to reset the computer after you replace the O2 sensor.

Dale Thanks Dale,
I read your linked post and it seemed that the o2 sensor didn't initially fix your problem? Is there more to the story?

Anyway mine is out (along with most of the threads I see :eek7:) I have a new one coming in today. (also a bosch oem)

After thinking about it... this problem all started after I changed the oil... at first I totally dismissed this as coincidental... What would new oil/filter have to do with anything, right?!?!:confused:

But after tracing the wires from the sensor, it is very possible that I pinched the wire bundle with the o2 wires in it when I put the bottom rock guard back on (the wire bundle runs right behind the guard)
I moved the bundle after checking the wires and will see how it is after the new o2 sensor is in.

RockinV
10-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Well, changed the o2 sensor and rerouted wire bundle. Took the truck out for a spin... It was “different” file:///C:/Users/John/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif...
No CEL and the engine seem to be running smooth... but the power really sucked. I thought maybe it was just that I have been driving a car with 450+ HP for the last week , But decided it definitely was more gutless than before. So I came back “here” to see what plugs people use. I had just opted for “cheap” and put a set of AC Delcos in...
I went BACK to the parts store (for the 6th time) and got a set of NGK Platinum plugs.
After the swap out I for one more ride and…
:iceslolan:iceslolan:iceslolan:iceslolan:iceslolan :iceslolan:iceslolan :iceslolan
...it really made me a true believer in using the right spark plug concept! The NGK plugs up-ed the power by at least 30%, if not more.
I will attempt a ride over the mountains tomorrow to see, but I think she is good to go!

Add your comment to this topic!