Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

coolant temp sensor

bedpan
01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
I had to replace the cooling lines for the transmission on my '94 PA.
To access the lower line at the radiator, I attempted to unplug the temp sensor to the radiator and instead the whole sensor came out, spilling coolant all over the place. I got it back in but now when the radiator in under pressure it pops out. I can't drive the car. Is it possible I may have lost some kind of O-ring, should I replace the sensor or did I break something on the radiator?

Help:frown:

wrightz28
01-03-2007, 01:57 PM
I would imagine the sensor is threaded into the radiator. Given the amount of heat is subjected ot either the threads o fthe sensor broke off or the vice versa in the radiator.

Loekee75
01-03-2007, 02:34 PM
How do the threads look on the sensor? Try wrapping the threads with teflon tape and tighten the sensor back in there.

bedpan
01-03-2007, 03:22 PM
This doesn't seem to thread in, it just pops in. Maybe it's not a temperature sensor. It is on the passenger side of the radiator right by the battery, about midway down. The upper cooling line for the tranny runs right next to it. It is all plastic and pops into a receptor moulded right into the radiator. No threads anywhere. Maybe it's a low coolant sensor but I thought that would have been on the reservoir not the radiator.

Does it seem odd that I was able to replace the cooling lines myself but I don't know what this thing is called?

HotZ28
01-03-2007, 06:08 PM
What you are referring to is the “coolant level sensor”! It should have a retaining clip on the sensor and when pushed in, it will clip onto the little neck on the radiator. It sounds like the retaining clip broke off. You will need a new coolant level sensor! Most national part stores keep them in stock.

bedpan
01-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Ahhhh!!.....
Thank you very much.
Maybe I can get my wife to just stick her finger in it while I drive around.:lol2:

HotZ28
01-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey, I like the wife idea! Have you talked with her about doing that?:shakehead Here (http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?FLS15.html) is a pic of a 94 PA "coolant level sensor". Does this look like what you broke?:frown:
BTW: That is a Standard Products part #FLS15

bedpan
01-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Yes, that is it, but mine no longer has the retaining clips, hence the problem.
$31.99 for such a small part but a small price to pay to keep from overheating.
Thanks again.

wrightz28
01-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Ahhhh!!.....
Maybe I can get my wife to just stick her finger in it while I drive around.

Yeah but then you get that annoying squealing noise, kinda like when I speed past the shopping mall entrance and a squealing noise starts coming from the passenger side front seat area :dunno:

HotZ28,

You know, I'm blowing up component locaqtor, I searched it for anything cooling system realted and nothing but the ECT came up for '94 :angryfire

bedpan
01-04-2007, 11:11 AM
You know, I'm blowing up component locaqtor, I searched it for anything cooling system realted and nothing but the ECT came up for '94 :angryfire
Yeah....I found a few sites that didn't list this item at all and a few parts strore in my area that had to order it and wanted to make me wait 4 or 5 days.
Found it this morning at Checker Auto.
Finally got my wife to get her finger out of the radiator and then I just left her there.:grinyes:

Loekee75
01-04-2007, 07:27 PM
The coolant temp sensor should be located inside the driver side of the intake manifold; the coolant level sensor is located in the radiator. Note that not all models came with a level sensor; it was an extra option to have a "LOW COOLANT" warning. Some radiators simply had a pet cock where the sensor would normally go.

Add your comment to this topic!