Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Lesabre Pinhole leak in tranny cooler line

mcqueary
01-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Just noticed this leak yesterday when I had the car idleing in the garage for a period of time. It leaked about half a cup of transmission fluid in about 30 minutes of idleing. The hole is about 2 inches from the transmission connection in a U-curved portion of the metal line. At first I suspected the connection but upon close examinantion it is the line itself that is leaking. It's a small hole and does not leak when the engine is not running. It only leaks when under pressure. I suspect the leak will get worse with time if left unattended.

Is it possible to repair this metal line and if so how? I believe the fact that its not in a straight section of line may complicate things. Or should I just get new lines?

Thanks,
Tom

'97ventureowner
01-03-2007, 02:17 PM
The best thing to do is replace the line all together. I have tried on numerous occasions to repair tranny lines on many of my vehicles over the last two decades and have come to the realization that in the end, replacing the whole line is usually the best solution. Living in NY where they use a lot of salt really corrodes tranny, brake, and fuel lines. It has become a regular event for me to try to fix the lines only to have them leak in another location, or have the repair fail later on. A quick fix would be to replace the leaking area with a small piece of hose and hose clamps. I used to use two clamps on each end of the repair as the lines are pressurized and I seem to get a better repair when more clamps are used. This should only constitute a temporary repair until you can replace the entire line. New lines are generally available at your local parts stores. Get a new one a little longer than the original and take your time bending the line to achieve the best fit without crimping the new line.

Loekee75
01-03-2007, 02:49 PM
If you can pin point the leak source, clean the surface with some fine grit sand paper and patch the affected area with JB Weld. It hasn't let me down yet! It especially works well on metal, as I repaired a huge (2in x 1/4in) gash in a gas meter with the stuff. I've used it on several radiators, too. I have no doubt in my mind that it'll work for your transmission fluid leak as well.

wrightz28
01-03-2007, 03:45 PM
It especially works well on metal, as I repaired a huge (2in x 1/4in) gash in a gas meter with the stuff.

Note to self: no smoking in Loekee's car or around his house, check :eek:

I've used JB weld on exhaust welds that have cracked and been pretty satisified, even on one occasion patched up a intake manifold crack with it. But something pressurized with hot liquid in it or worse, something flamable :dunno:

Add your comment to this topic!