92 Corsica Stalls

Concept1
01-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi...
I have a problem when the engine warms up and driving in traffic. The engine wants to stall out when approaching a stop light...sort of like driving a manual transmission and not putting in the clutch. At this time the temperature guage also climbs to the half-way mark. Upon leaving it parked for 30 minutes...the car runs fine for some time and then happens again. I have replaced the ignition control module and the coil packs have checked out good. Could it also be the TCC solenoid? Any suggestions?

92 Chev. Corsica, 3.1 liter V6, Auto Trans

jsgold
01-02-2007, 04:43 PM
BINGO!, Sounds like TCC to me. It had a 4 conductor prong plug on it, should sit at top of transmission. On our 91, 3.1 v6 it is under the air cleaner assy, but unsure if your 92 is the same. Still should be easy to locate. Unhook and drive. If this is it you won't stall anymore but your gas milage will drop a little.

Concept1
01-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks JS...I will try this.

CaptainTrips
04-17-2007, 02:26 AM
I was having the same problem on my 93 corsica and was told to replace the throttle position sensor, and now it never stalls :-D
hope this helps :smile:

Godspeed I
04-19-2007, 06:18 PM
I have a 91. With simular symptoms. Any idea how much the part is ? I'd rather not unplug and drive.

jsgold
04-19-2007, 06:47 PM
The TCC solenoid will cost under $30. The labor to put one in usually is around 100-125 PLUS, depending on where it is done. Depends on labor rates in your area. Most transmission shops will not so it unless you get a fluid flush too, as this can hurt the new one with junk in the old fluid. The problem is that on many Corsicas the unit is hard to get to, so hard to put one in yourself.

CaptainTrips
04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
The throttle position sensor cost me $30 at autozone and took me 15 minutes to put on.
It fits in on the throttle body assembly. a bit tricky to get to, but a snap once u have :)
here is the part info
http://autozone.com/images/hard_parts/wl2/wl2tps121002.jpg (http://autozone.com/R,APP264128/vehicleId,1893603/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,/partType,00136/shopping/partProductDetail.htm)Wells / Throttle Position Sensor (http://autozone.com/R,APP264128/vehicleId,1893603/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,/partType,00136/shopping/partProductDetail.htm) TPS121

jsgold
04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Normally the TPS will set a trouble code if bad, a TCC will not. Both will cause a stall but the TCC will make the car shake and jerk when slowing down after the motor gets hot. If it simply stalling or not taking fuel right, then yes the TPS could be it. But if the car acts like an old standard shift car stuck in high gear when slowing down, and it starts up right away but stalls as SOON as put into ANY gear, it is the TCC. If you know anyone that has a ODBI scan tool you can test the TPS, might be able to without one. One other option is simply unplug the TCC and see if the problem stops. If it does, then get it fixed or drive like it is. Depends on what you want and can afford.

Godspeed I
04-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Yes, it is the TTC, I found some info on this. Try this link :
http://www.technicalevolution.com/gm125.htm

It's not that hard to get to if you have some experience with the motors. It's funny, I've done so much work on my own that I don't want to get rid of it. Other than the driver side body damage from a couple deer (they hit me), it runs great. I've had the issue with it hesitating for a while, just now decided to repair it. Right now its up on jackstands, waiting my arrival of a new fuel pump. What a great idea it was to put it in the tank! I think I may Make an access pannel under the rear seat. Other than the issues I have now, it runs like new. Just looks a little rough. Here's a list of things I've replaced. Most things are commom for the Corsica/Beretta Models.

- Cooling loop for Power steering fluid (near passanger front wheel)
-Ignition Coils. (replace one, replace them all)
-All engine gaskets. (dummy distributor o-ring)--common area of oil leaks.
-Radiator
-Ignition Control Mod
-Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Fuel Rail and injectors
-Alternator
-fuel lines
-brakes front and back

jsgold
04-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Yes, it is the TTC, I found some info on this. Try this link :
http://www.technicalevolution.com/gm125.htm

It's not that hard to get to if you have some experience with the motors. It's funny, I've done so much work on my own that I don't want to get rid of it. Other than the driver side body damage from a couple deer (they hit me), it runs great. I've had the issue with it hesitating for a while, just now decided to repair it. Right now its up on jackstands, waiting my arrival of a new fuel pump. What a great idea it was to put it in the tank! I think I may Make an access pannel under the rear seat. Other than the issues I have now, it runs like new. Just looks a little rough. Here's a list of things I've replaced. Most things are commom for the Corsica/Beretta Models.

- Cooling loop for Power steering fluid (near passanger front wheel)
-Ignition Coils. (replace one, replace them all)
-All engine gaskets. (dummy distributor o-ring)--common area of oil leaks.
-Radiator
-Ignition Control Mod
-Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Fuel Rail and injectors
-Alternator
-fuel lines
-brakes front and back

let me know if you do this and how it goes. I had not tried this since a transmission shop told me that on the 91 there was another blockage of the TCC that made it very difficult to get to, but not all Corsica's/Berettas were that bad. If you are able to do this I will give it a try too. A very nice bit of information there.

PatrickWK
03-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Just checked at autozone online and they want 149.99 for the TPS.
What's with that?

Bearwulf
03-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Sounds like they want to sell you the whole throttle body. Better find a new parts store.

Add your comment to this topic!