How can I get my o2 sensor out?

Ultrashock
01-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Ive tried everything and cant get it out, the only way I can is with an adjustable wrench and a hammer but all I am doing is rounding it off. Does anyone have any tricks to getting this SOB off and out?

BlazerLT
01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Warm up the exhaust by running the engine for about 5-10 minutes.

cut the wires to the sensor and get a deep well socket that fis over it and a breaking bar and remove it.

Ultrashock
01-02-2007, 04:32 PM
I did try heating it up and it didnt work.

I Dont think there is anyway that i could possibly get a breaker bar or even a ratchet above it, the space is too small

BlazerLT
01-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Warm it up, shut off the engine and then hit it with some penetrating oil. While it cools it will suck some penetrating oil into it to free it up.

Use a proper tool too, make sure you have the wrench adjust ted properly before hammering and loosening it.

DelCoch
01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
. . . all I am doing is rounding it off. Does anyone have any tricks to getting this SOB off and out?
If you have rounded it off, the only tool left is a small pipe wrench or vise-grips. Heat and penetrating oil will be your friends.

Get a good penetrating oil, WD-40 won't cut it.

wyatt_earb
01-02-2007, 11:23 PM
If you can get to a cutting torch, heat the bitch til cherry red and let it cool a little bit and try to wrench it off. This worked for me on exhaust and removing a bolt that the head snapped off on.

Ultrashock
01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
If you can get to a cutting torch, heat the bitch til cherry red and let it cool a little bit and try to wrench it off. This worked for me on exhaust and removing a bolt that the head snapped off on.

Is 3 in 1 a good penetrating oil? its made by the same people who make wd-40

BlazerLT
01-03-2007, 12:02 PM
No, use some proper aerosol penetrating oil like WD40 or liquid wrench.

DelCoch
01-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Go to your auto parts store and get some good penetrating oil. ZEP SUPER PENETRANT is the best you can buy if they carry it. WD-40 is not a penetranting oil and liquid wrench is not much better.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1178639/ZepPenetratOil.jpg

Ultrashock
01-15-2007, 12:43 PM
No one carries that Zep super penetrant.

I have seen PB blaster around here anyone know if that works pretty good?

wyatt_earb
01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
PB blaster has always worked great for me.

BlazerLT
01-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Witht eh real hard to remove O2 sensors, you will have to cut the wires and get a breaking bar and a large socket over it and break it loose. Just had to do it with a Neon. Worked wonders, took them all of 5 minutes to do the job seeing they had a pit and I didn't.

berniescout
01-16-2007, 12:09 AM
pb blaster is very good. let it soak in. spray and let it set for a while, respray, etc. let the pb blaster have time to work.

wyatt_earb
01-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Try what blazerLT said. And if that doesn't get it out you might have to get acess to a cutting torch and heat it up. Have you tried tighting it, just to get it to move, then given her the business to get it out? Sometimes that works on stubborn bolts...

Ultrashock
01-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Try what blazerLT said. And if that doesn't get it out you might have to get acess to a cutting torch and heat it up. Have you tried tighting it, just to get it to move, then given her the business to get it out? Sometimes that works on stubborn bolts...

Ya I would try that but I can barely fit my wrench into the spot where the o2 sensor is fitting a breaker bar in there would be probably impossible.

I tried using some vise grips also that were extremely tight. The "teeth" on the vise grips started to eat through the metal on the o2 sensor.

lefthandscrewdrivr
01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Heat Up The O2 Sensor And Exhaust Bolt Till Its Cherry Red With A Torch And Clamp A Pair Of Vise Grips Down Real Hard And It Should Come Loose...let Me Know If It Works

Ultrashock
01-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Heat Up The O2 Sensor And Exhaust Bolt Till Its Cherry Red With A Torch And Clamp A Pair Of Vise Grips Down Real Hard And It Should Come Loose...let Me Know If It Works

it'll be a while till I can access a torch, probably not till the summer (damn college takes up too much time)

lefthandscrewdrivr
01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Good Luck...you Can Bring It To A Shop And Have It Done So U Dont Have To Worry About It. But Being In College That Takes Money U Probly Dont Have.

DelCoch
01-16-2007, 02:44 PM
If you're going to use heat, just heat the exhaust pipe, not necessarily the sensor, as heat causes things to expand and you want the bolt hole to expand, not the sensor.

534BC
01-16-2007, 02:54 PM
If you're going to use heat, just heat the exhaust pipe, not necessarily the sensor, as heat causes things to expand and you want the bolt hole to expand, not the sensor.

Exactly, heat the housing (female threads) quickly and it'll screw out by hand nearly. Kinda hot though.

Using a candle to melt the wax into the cherry red housing will lube it, and catch the candle on fire a lot but it works better than any penetrant because penatrant burns away.

It really seems like your problem is that you can quite get the proper wrench/tool/socket and enough leverage though. If you can fenagle something very long like double wrenches or a flex rachet with pipe on handle it'll probably come loose.

Any exhaust shop should do it maybe even for free.

DelCoch
01-17-2007, 01:06 AM
You have to be careful with a torch under there, as it could set the whole car on fire. It probably would be worth it to have a muffler shop do it for you.

Ultrashock
01-17-2007, 10:23 AM
You have to be careful with a torch under there, as it could set the whole car on fire. It probably would be worth it to have a muffler shop do it for you.

Im just hoping that this o2 sensor will fix some of my problems. I get 13 mpg on the highway (seems like i get better in the city sometimes) and a check engine light after about 30 miles (never in the city though). I've done a full tune up and pretty much replaced everything but the o2 sensor. Im hoping all this hardwork accomplishes something haha.

Ultrashock
03-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Ok I finally got the O2 sensor out using ALOT of PB blaster, a pipe wrench, and a hammer. Hopefully the new O2 sensor will help my gas mileage out a little bit.

old_master
03-04-2007, 02:41 PM
A little anti-seize on the threads of the new sensor will help the next guy get it out. Who knows, the next guy might be you again!

Ultrashock
03-19-2007, 11:27 PM
A little anti-seize on the threads of the new sensor will help the next guy get it out. Who knows, the next guy might be you again!

That is definetely the first thing I thought of when I put it on.

The difference this one sensor has made is amazing

I went from 12.5 mpg to 19.5 mpg on the highway (i also reset the computer). Also no SES light after about 50 miles of highway driving. The exhaust no longer smells really bad either.....

BlazerLT
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
especially the one in front of the cat which controls the fuel mixture.

Ultrashock
03-20-2007, 10:20 PM
especially the one in front of the cat which controls the fuel mixture.

thats the only one there is on this truck

Add your comment to this topic!