Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Crankshaft possitioning sensor

oscar89
01-01-2007, 08:21 PM
My dad has a 96 tacoma with a 2.4 4cly in it. The check light came on. I have a code scanner and it said that it was the crankshaft possitioning sensor that was wrong. But we don't have any idea where it is, so I was wondering if any of you guys knows where is it at and if isn't to hard to get to/change. Also sometimes when trying to get going from a standing still the engine feels like if it wants to cut out for a moment then it gets going, could this condition be caused by the crankshaft sensor or it's a whole different thing, by the way sparkplung, ari filter are new, I will ask my dad if the sparkplug wires and fuel filter are new too.

TcmaBoy
01-02-2007, 06:40 PM
What was the code.?

335 could be a bad sensor, a starter problem, or an ECU problem

336 could be a bad timing chain

oscar89
01-03-2007, 11:18 AM
What was the code.?

335 could be a bad sensor, a starter problem, or an ECU problem

336 could be a bad timing chain

I can't remerber, I checked the codes a while ago. But how do I go about fixing either?

TcmaBoy
01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
You will need a multimeter and a repair manual of some sort. 335 is set by the ECU not getting a crank signal. Check the sensor and the wires between the sensor and the ECU. The sensor is down by the crank. The resistance through the sensor should be 1630-2740 ohms if cold, and 2065-3225 ohms if the motor is warm.

336 is set by an off reading between the crank and cam sensor. Set the motor to TDC. Pull the valve cover and make sure your timing marks are lined up right. You will also have to make sure the distributer is ok.

If the motor has a lot of miles on it, and you haven't replaced the timing chain yet you should.

oscar89
01-10-2007, 04:27 PM
thanks a lot man

Add your comment to this topic!