Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Smokey mornings..

caddyman379
01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
1992 Olds Cutlass Ciera 3.3V6 4spd 4T60
147, 333 miles

Doesn't have to be morning, anytime it hasnt really been warmed up enough.

Oil is clean and recently changed, transmission fluid is dirty but not losing any.. Car smokes a bit when started cold and lasts until maybe 125ish and then it diminishes to light light smoke. How normal is this? I don't remember it being this severe last winter.

The only thing I can think of would be that over the summer I drained and flush the cooling system and refilled it. I did not use a supplement tab, however I did use a small amount of alumaseal. The reason I say this, is because ever since then the hoses seem to get harder quicker then they did before. The only time the upper would be hard was when the t-stat was open, and now its hard maybe a minute or so after you start the car.

Radiator cap compresses and feels like its at about 16lbs.

Any ideas?

Am I just worrying here or what guys

Thanks, Rich

firemachine69
01-01-2007, 07:27 PM
What colour smoke and does it smell?

xeroinfinity
01-01-2007, 07:32 PM
When its cold out your exhaust will smoke due to condisation evaperating as the exhaust heats up.

After it gets to running temp, it shouldnt smoke much if any.
I guess it will smoke some if its around freezing temp, but thats the same reason hot pipe cold outside.

caddyman379
01-01-2007, 07:44 PM
its white, and smells normal. its the type that lingers around and diminshes after its been in the air for 10 or 15 seconds.

forgot to mention: car runs very well, does not miss or stall and shifts properly.

do the hoses getting hard sound normal to you? i know its supposed to be pressurized..

it does take and give back to the res.

Ian Szgatti
01-02-2007, 09:00 PM
it really does sound normal, but for your own satisfaction, you could have your exhaust gases analyized.

Add your comment to this topic!