Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 4cyl. Olds Alero ABS/low trac/ no trac light problems/ brake problems

Elkboarder
12-31-2006, 05:04 PM
If anyone knows whats wrong with my car please help. here is the problem. My 2000 olds alero starts fine. the engine light is on when i turn the car on but that is from the blower motor sensor being shot. The major problem comes when i drive the car for a little bit, the low trac light will come on and then my brakes will give out. This really only happens when I am coming to a complete stop. The brakes then kick back on and 30 seconds later the no trac, service vehical soon, and ABS light come on. After these lights are on, the brakes will not give out. I took it to a garage and of course the car did not malfunction for him, but every time I get into it it does this. Any suggestions? Thank you

BNaylor
01-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Welcome to AF.

Based on what you are saying I recommend getting the car scanned with an ABS capable scanner. Specifically wheel sensor speed and output should be checked. It sounds like you have one or more ABS wheel sensors out of spec or bad or related wiring causing the abnormal ABS initilization. The wheel sensor is part of the hub. Common problem on Aleros.

Elkboarder
01-01-2007, 07:03 PM
hi, thanks for the comment, would a bad sensor cause the brakes to fail? I figured that the only way the brakes would fail like that is if the hub assembly was shot.

BNaylor
01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Normally no. But it sounds like you are getting inter-reaction with the EBTCM module (ABS module brain) which is causing the loss of braking which is abnormal. I have seen failed wheel sensors cause only the SVS, ABS and TRAC OFF lights to turn on and even hear the ABS modulation noise and feel it in the brakes but have never lost brakes like you are. A scan may reveal whether you have problems with the EBTCM module or the ABS modulator/motor pack or a combination of problems to include one of the wheel sensors.

Also, check to make sure the charging system is good and putting out proper voltage at the alternator. Check grounds and cables to the battery. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!