Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

grey smoke from talon esi??

lostsoul74
12-31-2006, 03:02 PM
well, i scored a 96 lowered talon with rims a few weeks ago for 400 bucks, it had a bad crankshaft sensor which kept making it shut off after about 20 minutes. Got another off ebay and spliced it in, stayed running great. But from the start, the engine sounded pretty worn, I wouldnt really call it a knock, at least in my opinion, but i've mostly had trucks and vans, and when you get a knock... it's a knock, this i just called Worn..... which i think is just the first cylinder fouling out because of a bad valve cover ring. Well, took it out this morning, went around the block a few times and floored it coming back around the corner down the street, I noticed a huge thick cloud of grey smoke (grey smoke, not white, not blue). Pulled over, checked it out, no water in oil, oil in water, etc. etc. little smoke at idle, little more at rev when not in gear, alot when in gear and torque behind it. Did i just blow the engine, or did i just loose another sensor??? Shes got full power, no loss, and no knocks, sound fine on rev. Dont know if related, but i think i had a bad valve cover ring in the right cylinder (or a crack in the valve cover), changed the plugs last week and the first cylinder all the way to right, the plug wire and spark plug was soaked in oil, oil was sitting in hole, and came back after change, rings i heard were an easy fix, just need new valve cover gasket set), can these be related, could i Have blown the valve cover ring all the way and oil is flooding the cylinder??? The engine sounds fine on rev, no knocks or anything, other then just a heavily worn engine sound when in idle. What did I do now gentlemen.... lol. thanks guys.

david-b
12-31-2006, 03:07 PM
I would say get the leak done first, then see if that fixes the problem. First start with what you know.

lostsoul74
12-31-2006, 03:23 PM
well, before i play the guessing game and spending more money on something that might not be fixable (or at least, not affordable ie: a blown engine), is it even possible that a valve cover ring gasket can even cause that??? can it even leak into the cylinder, and would it be grey, or woulndt it be blue?? I'd like to have more likely diagnosis, then... try this, then this.. then this... and then 3-400 dollars later, realize the engine is shot (for that price, i can get a japan motor off ebay ya know), but then again, i got it for only 400, if the engine is shot, my as well just sell the rims then get hte hundred from the junk yard and recoop the money.

gthompson97
12-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Valve cover gasket is ~$20 IIRC. Try that, and do a compression test like I said in your other post and see what happens. And when you have another thread up, there's no need to start a new one. Good Luck.

lostsoul74
12-31-2006, 05:46 PM
thanks man, the other one was an old post on another subject, i posted there cause maybe you might know off hand. I've been using car forums for about 8 years now and know quite well to create a new post for different problems cause people seldome read old posts, or they dont read it cause it's a subject they dontk now off hand, where as this one they may. Yea, already got the gasket coming from ebay, ordered it a few days ago for 13 bucks after i found the oil in the spark plug hole, should be here later this week, just wasnt sure if that was even a possability or not on the problem, like i said, i'm not a mechanic, dont know if the oil can even go into the cylinder that way or not. Didnt want to bother wasting the hour or so it takes (dont know) if that wasnt even a possability you know, if it was a bad cylinder head ring or something (i dont know, i took small engines mech in HS about 15 yrs. ago.. lol) where as I my as well just forget it. Thanks for the response. Eric

david-b
01-01-2007, 12:17 PM
If it's a bad piston ring, it will be more work. A lot more. Hope that the gasket will fix it. Good luck. Make sure you torque the bolts in sequence and right torque.

lostsoul74
01-01-2007, 12:23 PM
thanks, i'm pretty sure its not as simple as just hte valve cover gasket ring, it doesnt make sense, the spark plug is there so oil cant get into the cylinder, plus if thats all it is, then it would be black smoke from oil, not grey smoke, must have water getting into engine somwhere, i'll have to go through it all later. maybe i can get lucky again with a 4 dollar can of block seal, that shit works wounders, blew a HG on my rodeo down in florida, ran blockseal through it, let it sit 24 hours, and drove it back to NY 3 days later with no more issues again, block seal and transx are awesome!!! lol. sometimes.....

Add your comment to this topic!