Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 ZX2 transaxle fluid

bowtieboy12
12-31-2006, 07:58 AM
I just changed the transmission fluid on a '99 ZX2. The old fluid was burned, dark brown to black color. The manual says capacity is 4.1q, only about 2.5q drained out though. So I split the difference and added about 3.5q after the filter change. When I check the fluid level after driving and running it thru the gears it shows the fluid right up around where the dipstick twists. The thing is this is about where the level read before with the old fluid.

Am I missing something here?

{LK} Mario
12-31-2006, 11:45 AM
im going to gues that there is ome kind of oil consumption going on. even though only about 2.5 quarts came out, put back the recommended amout. especially since you said you checked it and it is low.

Mario

bowtieboy12
01-01-2007, 10:37 AM
What's the chance I didn't get all of the fluid out? I pulled the drain plug and dropped the pan, is there somewhere else where the fluid sits? torque converter maybe?

12Ounce
01-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Yes, the torque converter is the culprit. Years and years ago the torque converters were made with drain plugs ... but no more.

If you are doing a "drain and refill", just replace what was drained ... letting the dip-stick be the final indicator.

Some folks do the "self-flush" ... where the tranny is basically overfilled with fresh fluid and then emptied, thru the tranny cooler, using the tranny pump. This procedure can use all the fresh fluid the wallet can afford, ... but does an excellent job of getting rid of old fluid.

bowtieboy12
01-01-2007, 04:39 PM
ok, that makes some more sense if there is still fluid in the torque converter. so if i put in one quart more than i drained do i need to drain one quart back out or will it expel it on its own thru an overflow?

12Ounce
01-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Probably one quart would not be a hugh problem but much more could be. It will escape. Through the vent. Or through a seal ... not good!

Add your comment to this topic!