Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 jimmy ABS light on Service Engine light on

tastylatinkitty
12-30-2006, 09:40 PM
OK.. just bought a 1992 Jimmy which was rebuilt in 1996 with a new tranny and engine.. has 151k miles on it.. drove it home about 100 miles and now the check engine light is on :banghead: also the ABS light is on all the time.. no pulsating or soft pedal going on.. just light is on.. the e brake light is off...

Went to Auto Zone... had them try to run a code on it.. but they can't because the cigarette lighter isn't working..:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: just wondering if there is anything i can try other than a fuse to get the cigarette lighter working?

DINO55
12-31-2006, 07:09 AM
tastykitty,
ABS LIGHT: could be dirty hub wheel sensor, or a bad hub sensor...

Provided you have a good power wire to the lighter, you either have a bad ground going to it, or the lighter is shot. New lighters are less then $10 bucks...
Good luck and post back...

Dino

Chris Stewart
01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Try jumpering the top righthand hole on your regular diagnostic port at the lower dash under the steering wheel to the 2nd from the left bottom hole then turn the keyswitch on. Eric & I got a single ABS flash, pause, then 4 flashes..1-4...code 14 to start with so you can probably expect that. Count your flashes and we'll talk about them.
All help gratefully accepted.

ericn1300
01-01-2007, 04:32 PM
I've never heard of needing the vehicle's cigar lighter (not to be confused with a cigarette lighter) to read the codes. Auto Zone used to hand out a two pronged flat key to read power train codes that looked like the tool used to remove the cleats on golf shoes.

The jumpering method described by Chris works good. For power train codes jumper the two upper right pins with a paper clip then turn the ignition switch to the run position. Watch the Service Engine Soon light for trouble codes. It will start by flashing one long and two short flashes to indicate a "12" or start of file 3 times followed by any stored codes. At the end of any codes stored it will flash the 12 again to indicate end of file. For ABS codes use the same procedure but jumper the upper right to the second from left on the bottom. Code 14 seems to indicate the start and end of file on the ABS codes.

Add your comment to this topic!