Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Civic EX and Nissan SE-R spec-v

Fireinthesky28
09-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Alright, so I am missing something here...
Why is the barely heavier spec V much more powerful and alot cheaper than the Civic?
I've been lookin at spec sheets and all kinds of crazy crap, what did I miss when looking at a thousand dollar price difference??
If its something really stupid that slipped through my fingers, I am open to getting smacked in the back of the head:)

Quantom Logic can't mess with us now, I'm just blind, I guess

del
09-22-2002, 05:09 PM
it's gotta be VTEC man. state of the art system that makes your ordinary 4 banger civic faster than any car on the road ; any civic with VTEC you know is hella powerful. and throw on a coffee-can muffler and a 5 story aluminum wing, and you got yourself a beast, one hell of a street machine then it's all over. dont' even mess with it if it has 50 gazillion decals covering bright orange or green paint. :rolleyes: ok, i'll stop now. :bandit:

Fireinthesky28
09-22-2002, 05:16 PM
Haha, yea, tha makes sense. I wonder what kinda fun you could have with variable timing on cars outside of the honda/acura realm...

TatII
09-22-2002, 07:04 PM
well the QR25DE also has some sort of variable valve timing. it has a motor in the intake cam sprocket that adjust the timing for more torque or top end depending aplication. but the only reason why i see the civic as costing more is becsaue the SE-R is made up from the parts bin of other cars. the sentra chassis, the altima 2.5 liter engine, and the maxima SE's 5 speed gear box.

FREED0MFiST
09-22-2002, 11:25 PM
Nissan sentra spec v = 17,199
Honda civic ex sedan = 17,060
Honda civic ex coupe = 16,810
Honda civic si hatchback = 19,000

So the civic is actually cheaper than the sentra, if you look at the ex, which i would say is the closest competetor to the sentra. Heres a breakdown:
civic ex sedan is going to cost $139 less (MSRP). You'll get ABS with the civic, optional for sentra. Civic has standard sunroof, but sentra has standard alloy wheels. The civic has a 127 horsepower 1.6 litre sohc vtec, while the sentra sports a 175 horsepower 2.5 litre. I think the biggest reason why the spec-v is its produced in mexico, and ive heard some bad things about cars manufactored in mexico. The civic is manufactored in canada. So i'll say the civic has more standard features, less power, but a higher build quality. but maybe i'm just bias because i own a civic.

Moppie
09-23-2002, 12:45 AM
And all of you are missing on very important factor.

Both cars are aimed at differnt markets.
The EX Civic is not Honda's answer to the performance FWD Market, and is instead a nice comfterble well apointed shopping cart with a bit of punch when you need to get on the free way in a hurry.

The SE-R Spec V Sentra is Nissans small compact sports car for the US market.

Most people looking at buying a new EX Civic are not looking at the Spec V sentra, and generaly vice versa, unless they want to spend some money on the Civic. (like an engine swap)

FREED0MFiST
09-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Im thinking they appeal to the same market. This being people who want a sportier car for a decent price. I think nissan did a pretty bad job answering to the sport compact crowd with the spec-v because the styling is bland. I think the new civics have a much more aggressive styling than the spec-v, because they want to appeal to a younger crowd, the sport compact group. Nissan also wants to appeal to their group with their "performance" version, the spec-v. But thats just my opinion, im probably wrong. Besides the question was, why is it cheaper. And the answer is, it isnt cheaper, and the only reason its in that price range is because they used other parts like tat said, and that its assembled in mexico.

Fireinthesky28
09-23-2002, 03:58 PM
How silly, when I was lookin at spec sheets I took note of the Nissan being cheaper than the civic...oh well
Hard to pick favorites, I swear

TatII
09-23-2002, 07:32 PM
i don't think the styling is bland. but its all in the eye of the beholder. i love the front of the se-r becuase its such a skyline gt-r influenced styling. one of the main reason why i got my S14 is becasue it can be made to look like a R33 GT-R and that its a real car designed to go fast with crazy potential. and plus its not like i'm slapping nissan body panels on a honda like what most people do. lolz hondas should stick with hondas. nissans should stick to nissans.

Fireinthesky28
09-23-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by TatII
hondas should stick with hondas. nissans should stick to nissans.

Haha, I'll say amen to that any day.

I'm gonna dig around, I think I've still got pictures of people who do that (lots of crazy trickers in chicago):jump:

FREED0MFiST
09-23-2002, 10:41 PM
I dunno, i think the silvia s14 front end conversion is fockin sweet

Fireinthesky28
09-24-2002, 10:13 AM
I dunno, i think the silvia s14 front end conversion is fockin sweet

Dude, you know any urls of those?
I seen one down in wrigleyville a few weeks ago, didn't get a good look

del
09-24-2002, 05:13 PM
everyone does sylvia headlight conversions. surprisingly one of the better ones i've seen was on a cavelier which i saw at the battle of the imports in chicago. very nicely done. i had to take a second and third look to realize that it was a cavelier. i personally don't have a problem with it as long as it's done nice. i have seen some nasty conversions, not only ugly but not done properly.

Fireinthesky28
09-24-2002, 05:22 PM
Pictures, man, pictures.
Does anyone have any cool pics of good conversions?
I should start a thread...

FREED0MFiST
09-24-2002, 07:50 PM
Man i sent you some links before this topic came up remember? Here, i found a few more:
http://www.tiora.net/%7Echris/index.php?path=turbo_civic_sedan%2Fs14_conversion
http://www.importtrenz.com/importtrenz/styling/s14.shtml
For some reason i cant really find any more. There used to be a thread in the honda/acura forums about the conversion, and there were some sweet pictures posted. Sexiest headlights ive ever seen haha

Add your comment to this topic!