Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 accord tierod removal question

mn90cherokee
12-30-2006, 07:01 PM
While dis-assembling the steering knuckle so that I could replace the brake rotor, I screwed up the threads on the tie rod ball joint. I am trying to get the tie rod end off so that I can replace it. Any tips on accomplishing this? I am having difficulty creating enough leverage.

somick
12-31-2006, 11:17 AM
I have not done it myself but I remember when professional mechanic did it on my old Ford he counted revolutions when he unscrewed it.
I hope this helps.
Good luck and Happy New Year,

Sam

jeffcoslacker
12-31-2006, 02:12 PM
There should be a boxed section of the tie rod itself (not the end you are replacing) that you can grab with a wrench, and there is jambnut/locknut that butts to the tie rod end that has to be loosened first and backed away from the tie rod end, then the tie rod end should unscrew fairly easily off the rod...

Measure the distance from the end of the visible threads to the exact center of the ball stud housing before removing it, so you can get the toe close to correct...then count how many turns it takes to take the rod end off, install the new one the exact same amount of turns, then check the measurement. If it seems correct, lock it down with the jambnut and tighten up the ballstud in the spindle, and you're done...

You gotta do the measurement unless the replacement part is an EXACT match in every respect to the OE part....if you buy the cheap AutoZone tie rod end or something like that, it will not have the same dimensions, and if you install just by counting turns the toe will be WAY off, possibly even undriveably so...

mn90cherokee
12-31-2006, 04:16 PM
I was able to remove it and fortunately the old one was the cheap autozone one so I replaced it with the same kind. The car has 200,000 miles on it so the more expensive greasable part is probably not necessary. I got everything re-assembled and took it for a drive. Everything seems OK. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!