Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problem with airbrush and acrylics

mikaz
12-30-2006, 09:15 AM
I´ve been banging my head to wall :banghead: with this problem. I use airbrush ( try to ) with acrylics paint which i have dilluted with water but the problem is when i try to airbrush it almost only thing that come out is the air. Paint might come out little while and then it stops if i move the trigger back and forth it spits little paint and it might even spray evenly for a while. I´ve tried several dillution levels and air pressures but it havent helpt. Is the problem water´s surfacetension which blocks the paint in or what might be the problem?? :frown:

MPWR
12-30-2006, 09:27 AM
It doesn't sound like a thinning or pressure issue (and it's certainly not something like surface tension). The paint is not feeding, probably due to intermittent blockage. To me, it sounds like a cleaning issue- that you have some old gunk in the nozzle which is not letting paint evenly flow through.

What kind of airbrush are you using, and what kind of acrylic? There's probably something better to thin with other than water.

ales
12-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Which acrylics paints were you using?

You really shouldn't thin them with water, use proper thinner. And secondly, your problem seems to be that the paint is too thick and clogs up the nozzle. You are sure you're using acrylics, right? Improper thinner/paint combinations usually coagulate the mixture and clog up the airbrush.

Khier
12-30-2006, 03:57 PM
It sounds as if you are using pressure cans. If yes, get rid of it and use a proper compressor. Otherwise it seems a blockage problem as mentioned above. Maybe the paint you used was too old and started to solidify, or perhaps needed better mixing to disolve large particles.

MA8
12-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Try to use proper thinner instead water, it must help you.

Add your comment to this topic!