Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pro's and Cons

Marsal420
12-30-2006, 01:46 AM
SO i was looking into purchasing sumthing turbo'ed and i came across the Dodge neon srt-4, we'll what i would like to know from anyone with any information sum pros and cons about the overall car, anythign and everything sumone like myself that doesn't know much about the Dodge Line should know about that car, so if sumone could help me out that would do a great deal to me making my desiction.

Thanks.

vamc
02-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Head gasket problems. If you redline, you void all worenties(sp)

BrodyP
02-07-2007, 12:30 PM
pros

its fast
cheap
easy to mod
fun to drive
they dont make it anymore

cons ............. well I am sure we all had our problems with the car.
mine being the freakin catch can loosing pressure
and
burning wires on the manifold when I would do heavy burnouts
each were easy fixes but just annoying
another con might be fools telling you your driving a neon
another con is you void the warranty like the first day haha

CavLCD128
02-07-2007, 01:22 PM
like all cars, theres always gonna b a few things wrong like the wire harness under the clutch pedal, and the factory boost gauge sucking the big 1.

for the money, you wont find a better car, with better class, with a waranty. the cars that the SRT-4 run with are easily 5000+ dollars more in value. if you want cheep easily upgradable speed...this is your car

Turbodog97
02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Srt4 is just an over all decent car for the money; easy to upgrade and looks okay in my books.

-Jayson-
02-08-2007, 09:39 AM
pros
fast and cheap
cons
its an econobox

geekmonster
02-13-2007, 03:30 PM
as stated above, there are many pros to this car. the seats, the exhaust note, the power to price ratio is good, and easy to make faster. if you want to make a car that handles well, this also benefits from minor suspension upgrades and does well in autox events.

cons, well, to be honest with you, this car does not come close to doing well in the snow compared to an awd car. its a typical fwd problem. if you live in a snowy area, plan on getting studded snow tires at the very least. the tps seemed like a common problem on these, but is easily fixed if you get a new tps and have the techs put an extension in the wiring since it seems like when the engine flexes (kinda soft stock motor mounts) the wires get tugged on. also they don't have power windows in the rear. they have power windows in the front and everyone has tried to figure out why dodge did this. gas mileage is ok, but if you boost a lot, you won't get that great, mostly around 19mpg on boost. on extended freeway driving, its an average of about 28-30mpg.

longlivetheZ
03-20-2007, 09:06 PM
This thread is right up my ally, too. I went and looked at a black '04 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=217177411&dealer_id=78835&car_year=2004&model=SRT4&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=50&make=DODGE&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=41091&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=14) today and really liked it. I've driven them in the past and always liked them but now would be a good time for me to get one. I'm just wary of them. If I buy the thing and the engine siezes or my wiring all fries or whatever after 6 mo, I'd be PISSED! Are they bad cars? Every car has its pros and cons...the severity there-of is what scares me. I agree with the pros I've read...cuz the thing is fast as hell...I drove a Mopar Stage 2 back in the day and it remains to be the fastest car I've driven to date...it almost made the chick that was riding with me sick...lol. But I've also heard some bad stories about them...engines seizing...wiring frying...etc. I don't want to deal with that. Any feedback, guys?

Oh...and, like geek said, what the HELL is up with the rear windows?!?!?!?! I was baffled today looking for the rear window switches...I've NEVER seen that in a car before. Very bizarre.

TEXSRT4
03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Head gasket problems. If you redline, you void all worenties(sp)

thanks for your retarded insight...glad you know enough about the car to list the pro's and con's. im pushing more than 400 on my own srt at the moment and running the stock headgasket without any issues. very few srts have headgasket issues at all, infact i have seen more evo hg failures than srt4 failures

geekmonster
03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
i haven't really heard of any wiring problems other than some problems with the spark plug wires on some of the 03's and 04's, but they are covered under warranty or if the miles are over, you can pick some up for under $50 easy.

as far as engine siezing, well, just be careful if you get a cold air intake when it rains. i know a guy that had hydro locked his engine about a year ago with a cai driving through a deep ass puddle. i have a cai and haven't had any problems (knock on wood), but i have the k&n typhoon cai that also converts to a short ram intake. i use it as a short ram in the winter and spring and put on the cai extension in summer. also the water resistant dry sock on the filter helps a lot.

over all, i have been very happy with this car and i plan on having this car for a long time.

Marsal420
03-21-2007, 08:21 AM
We'll from what i have been reading i really seem to like the Neon Srt-4, it's a really nice car even though it's a neon. I just have to wait and see what happeneds because im in the process of selling my 02 impala and my 96 buick park avenue and when both of those r sold im going to be investing in a project car. And, the whole issue with the snow , i have a 4x4 right now and have been doing alot of work to make it look better and have alittle more power, so if i were to get a front wheel drive it would be strickly a spring/summer car nothing more . But we sha'll see what happeneds in the next few months with me finding a good realiable job, otherwise im just going to look for an other nissan or sum other car that i dont see around here to be different.

Thanks for the help .

longlivetheZ
03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Same here. Thanks a lot, guys. I'm just trying to get the financing to go through now. If it does, which I don't see why it wouldn't, all systems should be go...even though the insurance is REDICULOUS.

The car I am looking at has a cai on it as well...I'm wanting to say it's an AEM but I can't remember for sure. This alright?

Turbodog97
03-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Same here. Thanks a lot, guys. I'm just trying to get the financing to go through now. If it does, which I don't see why it wouldn't, all systems should be go...even though the insurance is REDICULOUS.

The car I am looking at has a cai on it as well...I'm wanting to say it's an AEM but I can't remember for sure. This alright?

Yeah, just be careful not to suck up any water with it. When you get her, if everything goes well, post up some pics!:iceslolan

longlivetheZ
03-24-2007, 01:49 PM
You know I will, man. I wish the dealer would quit dicking around. This is the WORST dealership in the world. I know it doesn't take a damn week to process credit. I'm about to tell him to screw off but I want the car. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the info though, guys. I'll keep you guys posted!

Turbodog97
03-24-2007, 02:38 PM
A week? Jeez...

Marsal420
03-24-2007, 11:41 PM
That is alittle longer then you would think, when i was approved for my 02Impala *Which will be Sold soon* it only took a day.. I wonder if it has to do with the car being what it is?

Turbodog97
03-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I didn't think so? I was approved for my car in....I think 30 mins. or something around that time....not long at all.

BrodyP
03-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Took a little less then 10 min, had the car in 48 hours after that.

Marsal420
03-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Only reason it took till the next day was because, the dealer was closing up and he actually was about to let me take the car home right then and there but since i was only 17 at the time my parents were like "NO" so i had to wait =(, but sh** missed a day of school got a newish car and still have today, although im selling it though . EHH

longlivetheZ
03-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Dude was just dicking me around. I'd ask him "ok...what did the bank want?"
"Oh...well...uh...they need...like...uh...2...3...4...thousand...down..."
"You said you could get 3-4 thousand for my car...what's wrong with that?"
"Well...uh...they want cash..."

Dude never ONCE said SPECIFICALLY what I'd need to do to get the car. He just fed me a bunch of bullshit like that. When I got my Prelude, the dealer was ON IT! Damon Warner...I even remember dude's name...he told me "put 900 bucks down and we'll make it work". I put 900 down...he made it work. It was simple. This dude's just an idiot. I don't know what the hell his deal is.

Turbodog97
03-26-2007, 04:54 PM
You might just need to find a different dealer or talk to a manger of some sort.

Marsal420
03-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Definatly talk to the manager, and dont even bother saying a word to the guy, if anything just walk into the dealership talk to the manager and tell him everything if this guy actually wants to play little games with u then really give the commistion to another employee, and if not then what u should do is just threaten to take your business else ware, cus for whatever money they'd loose there straighten there shit right up. But all and all that is pretty pathetic that there pull this type of shit at a dealership.

vamc
03-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Let your local newspaper know, they might print something about the dealership, you never know.

longlivetheZ
03-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Newspaper and manager ideas are both good. I just haven't gone back though. Fuck that. I'm not giving any of those asses a cent. When I bought my Prelude, it was open and closed. These dudes dicked me around for over a week. Fuck them, man. I'm on a mission to straghten my credit out, then I'm going to go get one somewhere else and drive it up there to knock dude the fuck out.

vamc
03-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Damn Right!!!!!!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!