Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Gas Gauge not working

BryanCa
12-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I just had the fuel pump changed yesterday. I picked it up this morning and fueled up at the gas station. I noticed my gas guage is still on E now. It was working before I took it in. I talked to the place about it and they really didn't give me an answer. I need to understand how the fuel pump and gas guage operate. I need to know if this is something they could have jacked up, or if it is common in the 1995 model that when the pump goes, the gas guage goes too. All of the other gauges are working. Is there a possibility that the wiring harness was plugged in backwards?...so when my gauge is on E...it really is full?? I've got 159K on it and I've never changed the fuel pump since I bought it in 1998. Thanks

DINO55
12-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Take it back to the shop that installed it, They Jacked it up. The fuel pump and sending unit are all together as one piece. Could be as simple as a disconnected or pinched wire, bad ground, or a forgotten plug, or they may have damaged the new sending unit while installing it. How much did you pay for the new fuel pump?

BryanCa
12-29-2006, 02:00 PM
They charged me $153 for the pump, but there was about 230 labor, Shop fee of $45, Strainer charge of $16, Envrionmental charge of 45, plus tax..came up to about $523. They hem-hawed when I took it back...talked about charging me extra to look at it. I'm going to call back the shop owner.

DINO55
12-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Shop fee of $45??? Envrionmental charge of $45??? (WTF)

The fact is that your fuel guage is not working and is a direct result of the work they peformed on your truck's fuel tank. I would be leary at this point of the shop telling you that there is something else wrong (un-related to the fuel pump job they did) and it's going to cost you to fix.
Good Luck and keep your good eye on them...

old_master
12-29-2006, 04:25 PM
GM fuel indication circuits are designed to indicate an empty tank when there is low resistance in the circuit, such as a short. With high resistance, such as an open circuit, it will indicate a full tank. If the float arm on the sending unit was bent while removing or installing the module, that too could cause improper fuel level indication. In either case, the shop doing the repair is most likely at fault.

BryanCa
12-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the good info. I chatted with the shop and they said they would look at it again without charging me. My concern is how can I tell if it's something they did?? They could come back and give me a BS story that the part is bad and that they'll have to replace it for more $$$. I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this place already. Any thoughts??

old_master
12-29-2006, 06:18 PM
If they run an honest shop, they've got nothing to hide and will allow you to watch. However, most shops will tell you that for "insurance reasons" you are not allowed in the shop area. I have worked as a tech and service manager and have always encouraged customers to watch. The insurance thing has never been an issue for me. Unless the customer tries to "help" or gets in the way, it's not a problem. It is a state law in Michigan that the old parts are returned to the customer. In my opinion, it's a great law. A good shop will show you, and explain what is wrong with the part. If your state does not have such a law, it's buyer beware and you had better "do your homework" beforehand. The "warm and fuzzy" needs to be there before the repair work is started.

Blue Bowtie
12-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Shop fee of $45??? Envrionmental charge of $45??? (WTF)

Yes, that's exactly the phrase I uttered when I first read that list of charges - Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot...

Then I wondered if this was in the Peoples' Republik of Kalifornika, or Massachusetts, or some other "Green" state where there is a $30 surcharge if you fart. But no, it's evidently in the Plains, where people can still do things without politicians' "help" or interference.

"Environmental charges?" I'd be questioning just what sort of disposal fee was incurred by them for whatever wastes might have been generated as a result of the service work performed on your vehicle. They shouldn't have had to drain any fluids that didn't go back into the vehicle. If they present you with the defective pump, they have no disposal cost there, and the 'O' ring for the top seal on the tank shouldn't be an environmental hazard.

blazee
12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
$45 shop fee = a couple rags and a squirt of GoJo.
$45 Evironmental Charge = They charged you to steal your gas.

Hope that sums it up. :D

DelCoch
12-30-2006, 12:10 AM
. . . The fuel pump and sending unit are all together as one piece. . . . they may have damaged the new sending unit while installing it.
On the '95 the sending unit and fuel pump are joined together in the fuel tank, but are two separate units. The fuel pump is replaced as a single unit, unlike the newer trucks.

The wiring harness going to the fuel pump at the gas tank is a 3-wire connector and can not be plugged in backward, nor can the sending unit wire be left unplugged, as it's one of the 3-wires in the connector.

I agree with the other posts, it's something they did when they replaced the fuel pump. Most likely, they put the unit back together wrong, probably having rotated the unit upon installation causing the float to be jammed up against the baffle in the tank and unable to float up and down as it should. The repair manuals are very explicit about re-installing the unit with the float arm pointing in the same direction as when it was removed from the tank.

However, I doubt you will ever get them to admit their mistake and they will probably sock you for another $370 in labor fees to remove/replace the tank again. Without a full understanding that there will be no charge for the tank removal/replacement, regardless of the problem I wouldn't let them touch it again.

Another recourse is to have it repaired by a reputable repair shop and if indeed the first shop caused the problem, try to get something in writing stating the prior repair caused the problem and then present it to the first shop or sue them in small claims court.

At this point I would say you're between a rock and a hard place. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

BryanCa
01-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I was looking over my invoice again. They noted on my invoice that the relay is working fine, but the pump didn't have any pressure. Would the fact that the relay works fine be any indication that they jacked up the install of the gas gauge when they put the pump in? Thanks for all of the great information. These forums are so helpful!

paxfam1
01-01-2007, 10:10 PM
No, I doubt that. Just means that the relay was working and the pump was dead. Like mentioned above it could be a wire short or something as simple as they dropped the pump in at a direction where the float couldnt float.

BryanCa
01-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Just talked with the shop. They are telling me that the sending unit has gone bad. They think when the pump went out, it took out the sending unit as well. They told me they did not pull the tank. Does this seem logical? They said the part would be $470, but they wouldn't charge for labor. Thoughts anyone!!

frehol
01-02-2007, 03:29 PM
...They told me they did not pull the tank. Does this seem logical?...

Sorry but I don't understand how they changed the pump if they did not pull the tank... but I havn't tried this job myself. What I understand you have to pull the tank to get to the pump, or is it another way to access the top of the tank?

/Freddy

DINO55
01-02-2007, 03:47 PM
BryanCA
The shop is BSing you, There is no way they could have changed your fuel pump correctly without dropping the fuel tank. You paid DEARLY for a new fuel pump and labor, and all kinds of phony fee's. I would have the shop manager show you exactly how they did the job. Bring a (mechanic) wittness with you. I think you got taken and they just got caught. I would be looking at small claims court with them in the very near future.
Good Luck and keep us posted please.....

$470.00 for a Fuel Sending unit and NO CHARGE FOR LABOR??????????????????????
Look Here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-S-10-BLAZER-FUEL-SENDING-UNIT-2-DOOR_W0QQitemZ7969885896QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33556QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Dino

DelCoch
01-02-2007, 04:12 PM
I don't know where you live, but for $470.00 I will come and replace your sending unit.

The sending unit sells for $130.99 at AutoZone - I imagine about $230.00 at a dealership.

You didn't say what type of vehicle you have. On a pick-up truck, the bed can be raised to remove/replace the fuel pump, but on a SUV the fuel tank has to be dropped. No other way to do it.

Also, I doubt the fuel pump going out would affect the sending unit, but replacing the fuel pump, if not done right, will cause damage to the sending unit.

I suggest talking to a reputable repair shop, or even a dealership and tell them the problem. See what they think and ask if they will work with you in supplying a notarized statement if they find the prior repair caused the current problem with the sending unit.

I doubt a dealership would charge any more than $470.00 to replace the sending unit. I would run, don't walk, away from the place that is ripping you off.

I still think the unit was installed wrong and the float is jammed against a baffle in the tank.

BryanCa
01-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I know for a fact that they dropped the tank to fix the fuel pump, because my truck runs now. When I took it back today to have them find out why the gas gauge is not working, they called me and told me that it is the sending unit. The manager told me they tested the unit and found it to be bad. That's when he told me that they didn't drop the tank and that the part would be expensive to replace. I'm trying to figure out if one can test the sending unit without dropping the tank. I've read that these units go bad in the blazers, so it just may be coincidental that it went bad at the same time as the pump going out. They only tested the pump at the time of the repair to my knowledge.

DelCoch
01-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I imagine it's just coincidental the sending unit went bad at the same time as the pump, NOT!!

Apparently, you're not listening - You got ripped off, Dude!!

truku2
02-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I'll be willing to bet, after they changed the pump (for WAY TOO MUCH money), they sent POWER (12volt) to the pink wire instead of the TAN wire while testing your New Pump, Which ends up popping your gage. I did this very same thing myself over the weekend while changing my tank/sending unit (Stupid me) now gage don't work. but I have been told that it may be able to be fixed with a Magnet ???????????? haven't had time to find out yet. BTW, might wanna look for a BETTER auto shop, as those prices are outrages.:shakehead :shakehead :banghead: :banghead:

blazes9395
02-06-2007, 10:41 PM
$45 shop fee = a couple rags and a squirt of GoJo.
$45 Evironmental Charge = They charged you to steal your gas.

Hope that sums it up. :D

:lol: Yup pretty much. I can bet you the sending unit was damaged when they removed the assembly out of the tank, when they were replacing the pump. if you not careful, its easily damaged. 470 for a sending unit is crazy...your paying about 1.5 times for labour, included in that price.

I remember a service advisor at a place I use to work at give "deals" on labour rates, then just tack on an extra hour on the job and make more then if just charging the going rate. Many thought they were getting a deal. Needless to say after management caught on, he was done, and the only way management seem to have acted was because a customer caught him doing the overcharging.

Jobber price on sending units for this truck are even cheaper than the examples given on e-bay. My advice would be to go back and complain that you want them to fix the fuel guage like it was before you took it to them, or you'll have to file a complaint withthe necessary people for this.

Add your comment to this topic!