Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing plastic manifold 4.6L 97 Crown Vic

94&92Astro
12-29-2006, 03:32 AM
I found a duplicate manifold off a 04 mustang--looks like it matches exactly and purchased gasket kit, everything going smooth as silk (yea right) but the alternator bracket does not match up with the new manifold--when I tightened the two lower bolts the top holes which I planned to attach to the aluminum crossover don't even come close to matching up. Can you buy an aftermarket bracket from a local autoparts place or do I need to make another road trip to the junkyard??? Also I noticed that aftermarket replacement manifolds come with a new bracket--(I wonder why) anyone have any experience with this delima? As a sidenote this car has just 29k miles (deceased grandmother) and it left me in a cloud of steam the first time I went to the store!

rhandwor
12-30-2006, 07:20 PM
You can check if you have room to drill holes to fit or you can try a junk yard.
I would call the parts store and check. If you drill mark it and take it off and put a wood block under it before you drill.

94&92Astro
12-31-2006, 02:36 AM
You can check if you have room to drill holes to fit or you can try a junk yard.
I would call the parts store and check. If you drill mark it and take it off and put a wood block under it before you drill.

Thanks Rhandor-
A high speed cutting tool and a drill combined with a little thought goes a long way here. I made my marks then removed the bracket and only had to adjust once to buff down some rough edges that was rubbing against a fuel line on the rail--It's ashame Ford had to be forced to correct such an obvious mistake through the court system--:screwy:

rhandwor
12-31-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm glad that worked out for you as it saved both time and money.

sheebeehuh
12-31-2006, 02:21 PM
I am a little confused...a manifold for a '97 Crown Vic and a manifold from a '04 Mustang are not direclty interchangeable. The CV has a non-PI (NPI) ,manifold and a Mustang has a PI manifold. The intake ports on the head (and the thus the manifold) are shaped differently since the NPI and PI heads are not the same. You can "make" a PI manifold fit with a gasket/conversion kit but they are not a bolt-on replacements otherwise.

Am I missing something?

94&92Astro
01-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I am a little confused...a manifold for a '97 Crown Vic and a manifold from a '04 Mustang are not direclty interchangeable. The CV has a non-PI (NPI) ,manifold and a Mustang has a PI manifold. The intake ports on the head (and the thus the manifold) are shaped differently since the NPI and PI heads are not the same. You can "make" a PI manifold fit with a gasket/conversion kit but they are not a bolt-on replacements otherwise.

Am I missing something?

No offense but I hope so because this manifold is on my 97 crown vic and everything is smooth as silk--I'm sorry but this shade tree doesn't understand NPI or PI but here is the Mustang link where I purchased it soooooo u tell me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=180060818925

I just bought a gasket kit from autozone --everything looked identical other than the problem discussed here???

rhandwor
01-02-2007, 08:07 AM
The reply was talking about an 2004 mustang manifold. I would go to Auto Zone where you bought the gasket. Ask to compare a gasket for the mustang of the year stated and a gasket for your crown vic. If there are both the same part number no problem if they have another part number physically look at them and determine what you need to do.
As he said all you need is another gasket for this your parts man might have given you the correct gasket if you told him what you are replacing. All it could be is a port for something was blocked in the plastic manifold and isn't in the aluminum manifold. Apparently all bolts matched and you have no leaks vacuum,air,or fuel or the engine wouldn't run correctly.
I would check for peace of mind. I always match the gasket and new part as I have had problems getting the wrong gasket.

sheebeehuh
01-02-2007, 09:12 AM
According to the link you supplied, the manifold you bought was for a 96, 97, 98 Mustang which would fit your car just fine. Same manifold as the one you were replacing. Your original post said you bought an '04 Mustang manifold which would NOT have fit without some modifications. Ford used the PI manifold on Mustangs starting in 1999. A '99 and up Mustang manifold would not have fit your car.

In short, you got the right part and all should well. I was confused because your original post said you used an '04 Mustang manifold.

94&92Astro
01-02-2007, 10:00 AM
According to the link you supplied, the manifold you bought was for a 96, 97, 98 Mustang which would fit your car just fine. Same manifold as the one you were replacing. Your original post said you bought an '04 Mustang manifold which would NOT have fit without some modifications. Ford used the PI manifold on Mustangs starting in 1999. A '99 and up Mustang manifold would not have fit your car.

In short, you got the right part and all should well. I was confused because your original post said you used an '04 Mustang manifold.

You are correct and I guess I just got lucky in picking a replacement--I'm glad now of course that I didn't get the "newer" manifold. Anyway- your response is truly appreciated and adds value to this forum--thanks again

Add your comment to this topic!