Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto Armor

hijynx
12-27-2006, 07:38 PM
I just purchased a brand new black lexus i250 the other day, and my dealer offered me auto armor paint and fabric sealant for my car. It cost about 800 dollars and comes with a 5 year warranty and it is suppose to mean I never have to wax again. It supposedly makes stains almost impossible on my interior, and makes my exterior just require a hand wash to give it the brand new dealer look.

I was wondering if anyone had any input on this product? Is it worth it? If so, can I buy the products myself and apply it myself? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

gw84
12-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Welcome to AF!!! I've never heard of such a thing. Be careful..could easily be a scam! How would they be able to back up a 5 year warranty on something like that?

hijynx
12-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Welcome to AF!!! I've never heard of such a thing. Be careful..could easily be a scam! How would they be able to back up a 5 year warranty on something like that?

I figure 5 year warranty is easy to offer for 800 bucks when im assuming the products they use cost under 50.

What products would you recommend to keep my car looking extra nice? I miss that dealer shine already :( Black gets so dirty so easily.

gw84
12-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I've never had a black car...only maroon. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zymol cleaner wax (it comes in a light blue bottle). Although it costs around $12 a bottle, it's really some good stuff. It was recommended to me on AF and I tried it with good results. The first time I used it I was annoyed because it left lots of streaks, but I found that they buff off nicely with a good microfiber towel.

luv2detail
12-29-2006, 02:25 AM
I just purchased a brand new black lexus i250 the other day, and my dealer offered me auto armor paint and fabric sealant for my car. It cost about 800 dollars and comes with a 5 year warranty and it is suppose to mean I never have to wax again. It supposedly makes stains almost impossible on my interior, and makes my exterior just require a hand wash to give it the brand new dealer look.

I was wondering if anyone had any input on this product? Is it worth it? If so, can I buy the products myself and apply it myself? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Nnnnnnoooooooooooooo!

I literally just got done reading a question like this on another forum. Except this one was called permaplate protection. It's a ripoff. It's basically a paint sealant (synthetic wax). You can do this yourself for under $30. Go back and ask the dealer a few questions:
1. If I never have to wax my car again, why is there only a 5 year warranty?
2. If this is so great, why doesn't lexus do this in the first place?
When I buy my cars, I like to shoot questions at them they are not prepared for. It's fun to see them sweat!

gw84
12-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Nnnnnnoooooooooooooo!

I literally just got done reading a question like this on another forum. Except this one was called permaplate protection. It's a ripoff. It's basically a paint sealant (synthetic wax). You can do this yourself for under $30. Go back and ask the dealer a few questions:
1. If I never have to wax my car again, why is there only a 5 year warranty?
2. If this is so great, why doesn't lexus do this in the first place?
When I buy my cars, I like to shoot questions at them they are not prepared for. It's fun to see them sweat!
Thats Funny!!! My [less expensive] vehicle came with scotchguard on the seats...I didn't know there was anything else you could do to protect them. It sure doesn't cost $800 either! Also, if there were some Revolutionary "body armor" wouldn't every auto-enthusiast be rushing out to buy some???
I'm sure there is some undercoating that you could use (on the undercarriage)...however I agree with luv2detail...it's gotta be a scam

luv2detail
12-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Thats Funny!!! My [less expensive] vehicle came with scotchguard on the seats...I didn't know there was anything else you could do to protect them. It sure doesn't cost $800 either! Also, if there were some Revolutionary "body armor" wouldn't every auto-enthusiast be rushing out to buy some???
I'm sure there is some undercoating that you could use (on the undercarriage)...however I agree with luv2detail...it's gotta be a scam
Good point. Their fabric protectant "Armour" is probably nothing more than 3M Scotchguard sprayed onto the carpets and fabric seats.:D

Jim D.
12-30-2006, 03:01 AM
It's just another dealer ripoff, and does you no good if the guy applying the product doesn't know what he's doing and ruins your paint.

Google the words: dealer paint protection -- and read other opinions.

Cyric_Mage
06-23-2007, 08:53 PM
I work for a dealer that does the Auto Armor interior and exterior kits, and don't worry, they train all the detailers on how to apply the kits correctly.

The exterior involves clay barring the entire vehicle until the paint is smooth and then applying paint sealant that costs $150 a bottle. On top of that, they also apply a thin film to all the door edges to help prevent rust from forming where the paint can be chip very easily there.

The interior involves spraying Scotchguard on the interior and such. The reason it costs so much is because you also pay for the warranty. If your vehicle begins to rust while under the 5 year warranty, simply return it to the dealership, where Auto Armor will pay for the rust to be removed and repainted, or in the case of the interior, if your seat stains, Auto Armor will pay to have a brand new seat installed.

Andy_porche
07-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Just ordered a Nanotechnology Auto Paint Sealant kit from a company called NanoSafeguard, which is completely new to USA. I talked to them on the phone for over an hour, to find out why this was so unique. I was very impressed with the "sales" talk, but decided to try it anyway. They say they have products for both DIY and also a line of products for professionals, which they expect to have auto dealerships offer with new cars. They said that the Sealant for auto paint was best on a new car without schratches, as it will keep the appearance of a showrom car for approx 2 years. I will try out the product over the weekend and let you know how it turns out. No matter what, this nano sounds interesting.

'97ventureowner
07-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Old thread. Any new info on the subject should be placed in a new thread and if desired a link to the old thread can be included.
Thread closed.

Add your comment to this topic!