Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can anyone make me plans for this sub box?

dementedxsmurf
12-27-2006, 07:17 AM
First off, hello everyone! I'm pretty new to car audio, and have done tons of research and after visiting this site for some time now, have decided to become a forum member.
I've been looking for a nice sub box for a while, and haven't really found any. Can anyone give me a review on this one? If its good, can someone help out with plans for it, or could possibly make it? I don't have a problem paying, just don't want to pay $300 for a sub box ya know?
its 2 12s specific to the camaro/firebird model cars
here's the link
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PtqRvIm5yo1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=169550&I=044CFT2201

*EDIT*
oh, and I'm thinking of upgrading my stock speakers to Crystal Mobile Sound CPE60 component speakers, any suggestions?

PlayStation3
12-27-2006, 08:05 AM
what subs do you have.

dementedxsmurf
12-27-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't have any as of right now, I'm still trying to do some research on some different ones and decide. I'm thinking either Eclipse or JL, any suggestions?

alphalanos
12-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Why do you need two subs? Thats overkill for such a small cabin. You dont need much in a hatch. One 12 would be plenty.

dementedxsmurf
12-27-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm just trying to make something that would save space, as there's not much of it in my car, and that looked like it would be a good fit. Where would I put the other subs if not in the back?

alphalanos
12-27-2006, 08:23 AM
For your car I think the back is the only option. What kind of sub(s) did you have in mind? One well chosen 10 or 12 will be plenty for your car. The Crystals are a good choice, just make sure you have the space to mount them and a place for the tweeters and crossovers. Eclipse and JL are good if you want to pay for them. Check out http://www.onlinecarstereo.com(low prices) and http://woofersetc.com(high quality products)

dementedxsmurf
12-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Thats another brand I was looking at, as well as phoenix gold. So one sub in the bottom of the hatch is what your saying? I'm gonna upgrade to a component system too, I was thinking maybe crystal or eclipse, theres a phoenix gold for about 50 on ebay too so I thought about doing that, any suggestions?

alphalanos
12-27-2006, 08:31 AM
If you pick a sub that requires a small amount of airspace then you should be fine with an MDF box. Did you want to go sealed of ported?

dementedxsmurf
12-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I was thinking Sealed, because I listen to a wide variety of music, and I'm not 100% into the heavy bass, although it is pretty b a :). The sealed is quality and the ported is loud right?

alphalanos
12-27-2006, 08:40 AM
bascially, yes. Sealed requires more power and can still provide decent lows. It offers much more control. Ported can use less power but has little control over the excursion. Sealed would be good for you. How are you at woodworking? You need pick which sub(s) you will be using so you know what airspace you will need. You might be able to find a box at best buy or circuit city that matches the specs, but youll be paying at least $100 most likely. You can build your own for about $30 not including tools. If you know someone who has woodworking tools see if they want to help you make the box.

dementedxsmurf
12-27-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm awesome at woodworking. I'm a carpenter for my main job building decks and stages and fixing up houses and all sorts of different things(I have two jobs and I go to school), and I've had plenty of experience in high school with different woodshop classes, as well as my own personal projects. I wanted to build my own, unless I could find a good deal on a box. Are there any difference in brands I'd find on say ebay for an Eclipse, Crystal, or JL 12"?

alphalanos
12-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Each sub will have a different sound. You might want to find some local stores that carry the ones you like an listen to them. You should def. build you own box, that way you can be sure it fits in your car.

dementedxsmurf
12-27-2006, 08:58 AM
well placement, do you think I should make it to fit so I can put it in the little rectangular trunk hole, or should I put it up behind the back seats in that little space? Which would sound better?

alphalanos
12-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Up to you. my friend had his pointing upwards towards the glass. Whatever you chose, you should probably design some type of cover like a grille so that it cant be seen from outside.

dementedxsmurf
12-27-2006, 09:30 AM
when I was looking on ebay i found this box that hides in the trunk on the driver side, so its pretty hidden, what do you think about this? its only like $50
do you think one 10" would be enough for me?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120068228782&rd=1&rd=1

alphalanos
12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
It all depends on the sub. If you get a 1000w 10 then it should be more then enough. If you get a 200w then you might be disappointed. The mounting depth on that box is pretty shallow. If Youre good at woodwork, then you really should do it yourself. Its really easy.

dementedxsmurf
12-27-2006, 09:36 PM
yeah I've just never done one before, and I'm kind of afraid of messing it up ya know? That and I don't really know what makes the box a good box for the sub. The amp I'm getting is a cadence amadeus m4000, any comments on that? Also, I'm thinking of phoenix gold octane-r 6.5" comps for the doors, and I still haven't decided on the sub, any ideas, comments, or suggestions?

alphalanos
12-27-2006, 09:38 PM
sounds like you have pretty good taste lol. As long as you take your time and plan it out theres nothing to it. heres a simple box build to give you an idea: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/reviews/20030701/build_box.html

dementedxsmurf
12-28-2006, 09:29 AM
awesome thanks, I'll see if I can't customize my own build. Once I finish it I'll upload a pic and get it criticized :rofl:

Add your comment to this topic!