Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya TS-30 Silver leaf

ep-hatcher-510
12-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Might be a dumb question but can i spray clear coat over tamiya silver leaf (TS-30)? because i sparyed clear over a silver or aluminum a long time ago and it messed up the paint making it run off.

freakray
12-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Yes you can.
Will it change the finish, yes it will.

Now let us ask you some questions, when did you spray the silver leaf and what type of clear do you plan on using.

With Tamiya clear, unless it is applied directly after the final coat of color, you need to wait at least a month to clear coat - this is because the Tamiya clear has a different cure rate to Tamiya color sprays.

ep-hatcher-510
12-24-2006, 09:37 PM
i will be using tamiya clear (ts-13). i just sprayed Sliver leaf today. and how will it change the finish?

freakray
12-24-2006, 09:46 PM
More often than not, clears will change the appearance of the finish, on silver it often makes it look more aluminum.

If you sprayed the TS30 today, you'll have to wait at least 3 weeks before you clear it.

Why are you wanting to clearcoat?

Whumbachumba
12-24-2006, 11:11 PM
I've never clear coated silver leaf, but with some of their other colors I can use the rattle can clear without any problems in a week. Also has alot to do with the humidity and temprature in your area though.

ep-hatcher-510
12-24-2006, 11:35 PM
More often than not, clears will change the appearance of the finish, on silver it often makes it look more aluminum.

If you sprayed the TS30 today, you'll have to wait at least 3 weeks before you clear it.

Why are you wanting to clearcoat?

im using that color on the body, and i always put few layers of clear on my models. just something i am use to doing. Thanks for the information tho, have a happy holidays.

01L2Cobra
12-26-2006, 01:51 PM
It will make it darker and a little dull. I built a Tamyia Porsche 959 and painted it silver leaf. When I went over the sivler leaf on test peice it did make it look more aluminum than silver.

Add your comment to this topic!