Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 GT engine swaps??

G-man422
12-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Im looking at getting a fiero. I want a 1988 GT. I was looking around and found that a 3800 series II supercharger would work nicely with it. I've NEVER done an engine swap, and know very little about what is involved.

I need to know everything, and anything i would have to do. How long it would take, and the cost. Also if you could refer me to any websites specificly for fieros, please do so.

Thanks in advance: G-man422

PS: ANY other info you think is use ful about fieros in general feel free to ad, im trying to find out as much as possible about these cars.

Old Lar
12-24-2006, 08:38 PM
www.westcoastfiero.com is one source. There are several vendors that perform these swaps. Depending on the condition of the engine i.e. new or used and transmision i.e. manual or automatic and other upgrades like suspension and good brakes, you can spend many thousand dollars $5000-$8000 to get it done correctly.

When done correctly, a Fiero with a 3800SC will go like a bat out of he[[.

G-man422
12-25-2006, 06:47 AM
oh, i know. i've seen videos. Thanks for the site. Anyone else with useful info of any kind is welcomed to put it in.

G-man422

outatyme
12-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Actually you can put in a 4.9 cadillac northstar v8 with no problem, u can use stock engine mounts, ecu, transmission, all you need is a custom wire harness. Just search "fiero factory" for more details.:)

G-man422
12-26-2006, 01:51 PM
I saw some northstar swaps. but i'm not sure if that throws off the balance of the car too much.

outatyme
12-27-2006, 10:08 AM
well i think the power from the northstar will make up for the weight, hope i could help.

Jack_ink
12-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Putting a north* in it doesnt throw the balance off as bad as say a 350 SBC LS1 does and it is possible with these cars its as much as you can imagine.... thats why I love em

Old Lar
12-28-2006, 07:13 PM
If you want v8 see www.v8archie.com Archie also does chop top Fieros, suicide doors, six speed manual swaps and uses engines like ZZ4 or LS2 Corvette engines in your Fiero. Archie has also done a V8 Solstice.

outatyme
01-01-2007, 02:14 PM
If you want v8 see www.v8archie.com (http://www.v8archie.com) Archie also does chop top Fieros, suicide doors, six speed manual swaps and uses engines like ZZ4 or LS2 Corvette engines in your Fiero. Archie has also done a V8 Solstice.That dude is LEGIT!!!!:grinyes:

yellowfiero
01-22-2007, 07:01 AM
A friend of mine did exactly what you are asking. Check out the pics and specs on his website. He did a superb job.

http://www.thedownhome.net/fiero.htm

TampaLinc
01-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Check out Pennocks Fiero Forum
http://www.fiero.nl/

There are people that sell the mounts. The wiring isn’t that hard, it just looks intimidating, or there are people you can hire to do the wiring. All the information you will need including part numbers of hoses and belts.

ClubGP is a great resources if you decide to mod the engine.

I installed an L67 (3800SC) and 4T65E-HD (auto overdrive), but I ditched the SC and replaced it with a turbo.

series8217
02-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Actually you can put in a 4.9 cadillac northstar v8 with no problem, u can use stock engine mounts, ecu, transmission, all you need is a custom wire harness. Just search "fiero factory" for more details.:)

First of all, the Northstar is a 4.6. Second, it requires major modifications to the cradle to even get it to fit. You definitely can't use the stock engine mounts. Wiring is also pretty involved. It's not a swap for the inexperienced.

Jack_ink
02-14-2007, 05:35 AM
First of all, the Northstar is a 4.6. Second, it requires major modifications to the cradle to even get it to fit. You definitely can't use the stock engine mounts. Wiring is also pretty involved. It's not a swap for the inexperienced.

First how many different N* engines have been produced
3.9 4.6 and 4.9 and I think there may be a few others and you can get the wiring from certain people but its not a cheap and easy swap... I will be honest it is a good choice if its your tastes but its not easy like a 3.4 would be ....

jstillwell
02-16-2007, 01:01 PM
First how many different N* engines have been produced
3.9 4.6 and 4.9 and I think there may be a few others and you can get the wiring from certain people but its not a cheap and easy swap... I will be honest it is a good choice if its your tastes but its not easy like a 3.4 would be ....

OK, I'll bite. There have been 2 different sized Northstars produced, the 4.6 most commonly found in FWD applications such as the pre 2005 STS and the 4.4 for supercharged RWD applications such as the XLRV. If you want to count the Oldsmobile Aurora engine which shares the basic architecture, I'll give you a 4.0. But no 3.9 or 4.9's, sorry. I think you may be mixed up a bit on your facts about ease of swap with the pushrod Cadillac engines, of which there was a 4.9, along with a preceeding 4.5 and 4.1. Anecdotally, they are apparently measureable cheaper and easier swaps to comple then then the DOHC per cylinder head Northstar, and for quite a few people it provides more then adequate performance in the Fiero platform. However, when contrasted to the Northstar, it pales in comparison.

As far as using adaptor plates to shoehorn motors never intended for transaxle duty onto transaxles that were never intended to see much more then 140 hp, you are going to sacrifice reliability in the quest for "wow" factor. That's just one of the reasons I would discourage anyone from going the V8Archie route. Also take into account that resale value is highly impacted due to the fact tat the end result will not pass emission control regulations in many states, and that's only going to get worse as time goes on, not better. Top it off that in my experience V8Archie is a mean and bitter man, prone to empty promises and cruel vendettas. I know that I would rather burn my cash in the fireplace then let him get his hands on it, and I'd hate to see other people get screwed by him.

Theoretically, the beauty of the Fiero is that any FWD GM powerplant that has been produced since the Fiero's demise can fit on the Fiero's cradle. So, from the Supercharged Ecotec from the Cobalt SS to the LS4 5.3 V8 in the Bonneville GXP to the L67 3800 Series2 3800 in the Grand Prix GTP to the 275 hp dohc High Feature V6 with the 6 speed paddle shifted automatic... the possibilities make up a huge list, all which come complete with modern transaxles designed to handle the output and the technology to give clean, economical horsepower. Welcome to the Golden Age of the Automobile.

Jack_ink
02-16-2007, 02:30 PM
well I thought that the 4.9 was a N* due to the fact that the one that sold on ebay was a 4.9 N* engine in it or at least thats what they said and if its not then I dunno what to say, I love how you whom I dunno who you are but trash on a man that spent the better part of an accumulated 3.5 hours discussing with me what I should do to my next car, all in all I think everyone has different experiences with different people, judging the way you trash on him (one guy who gave a whole lot of time and work into fieros and helping pioneer stuff for the fiero alone, and its community based around it) but everyone is entitled to thier own opinion I for one think that his chop-tops should be more refined when you get them as most I see coming out of his shop are pretty rough cuts as opposed to the smooth bodies I like I also disagree with certain aspects of his business on little very unimportant things, like suicide doors-- he's afraid to be liable for incompetence of the owner I say have them sign a waiver cause they know what they are getting into as well as his targa top/hard top convertible ideas, but I will say it is his business and hes allowed to run it the way he wants, all of his other products I have never had a problem with and he has even offered to help my friends out on something that wasnt his problem free of charge... there are always 3 sides to an argument in the least and I try not to let peoples personal views shun me away from a highly known and respected guy I can also say that a man on RFT called shaun and also another whom I wont mention his name have actually helped set me straight on some of the flaws on things I was doing/ on the other hand there will probably be a new thread in RFT Vs. Teh World about me for mentioning people over there even though it wasnt in a bad way until now... I actually have had useful information come from both sides of the borders but thats my experience not yours

back on topic though I like the fact that you can do minor mods to a N* and have it at about 350-400 HP very easily

just my :2cents:

BTW who cares about clean and economical HP? I run a straight piped exhaust (all mandrel bent not just a rednecked hack job)

jstillwell
02-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Dude, I'm a little mystified at what's placed a burr under your saddle. It doesn't help that I'm a bit ADD and your freeform writing style is a bit tough for me to comprehend. Some punctuation woudl definately help, but I'm not trying to play Grammar Cop.

I'm getting the impression that you're personally offended that I offered my advice to the original poster on the subject of V8 Archie. Then again you state repeatedly that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think I made it clear that this was my personal experience. Of course your results will vary with use. It all depends on how fat the check that you're going to write him is as to how much he'll "tolerate" a customer. Keep writing checks, and you're his buddy for life. But I can guaran-damn-ty you that you're not going to have too many 3 hour freebie chats with Clete.

As far as who I am, I'm not really sure how that relates, but I'm pretty confident that I have some degree of cred as far as the Fiero "scene" goes, if you can call it that. Would it impress you more if I dragged out my resume? Is being a Charter Member of Board of Directors for Classic Fiero Owners Group Int'l sufficient vetting to give my opinion on things? I had no idea that was critical.

One last point. Clean and economical engines have absolutely zero to do with the exhaust pipes.

Add your comment to this topic!