Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Recent Improvements... Need help.

HondaManDan
12-23-2006, 01:41 AM
So far after getting my 95' Park Ave (base) I've had the tranmission flushed, and the filter replaced. I also had a brand-new serpentine belt installed and a general "once-over" done to look for problems.

After I got it back from the dealer, I changed the oil, installed a Fram High-Mileage filter, added Lucas Stabilizer to the oil (5w-30 Synthetic), and added Lucas Transmission Fix to tranny.

The next task was to assess the only problem the dealer found... the power-steering cooler.

Turns out, the thing has a good sized crack in it and it's dripping steering fluid.

The part from GM is 150 bucks and no parts-store I've called carries them. The mechanic at GM told me that I could simply disconnect the cooler and loop the lines completely by-passing it. Either that, or I could simply install an el-cheapo transmission cooler or oil-cooler small enough to fit in the stock position.

In order to prevent any more damage to the steering system and attempt to slow the leak, I took a turkey-baster and sucked all of the fluid out of the power-steering reservoir. The oil comming out almost looked like dirty transmission fluid with a brown residue. Isn't GM Power steering fluid supposed to be clear??? Anyhoo, I filled it with Prestone Stop Leak for GM cars, started the car, and ran the steering wheel back and forth, full throw.

I sucked all the fluid out again, still brown. Filled it, and repeated the process 3 more times until the fluid was a transluscent, light-brown (I couldn't get it perfect and I didn't have that much fluid left.)

After I was done, I added some fuel-injector cleaner and dry-gas to the tank, pumped it full of regular, and went for a drive. Let me tell you.. this car drives like it's brand new. The power steering doesn't whine nearly as loud, you cannot even feel the transmission shift, and power is smooth and even throughout. The best part is that it doesn't feel like i'm fighting torque steer as much as I was previously. Sometimes on the highway or under acceleration I'd hit this point where the steering wheel felt pulled to one side or the other by the transmission, causing this mild vibration. Totally gone now.

For having 107k miles on it this car drives like a dream!

My only question is about the power steering. Has anyone else by-passed this cooler before? Would this rusty-cooler be causing the brown/red power-steering fluid?

I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks a lot for all your guys' help so far!

Dan

HotZ28
12-23-2006, 06:56 PM
The part from GM is 150 bucks and no parts-store I've called carries them. The mechanic at GM told me that I could simply disconnect the cooler and loop the lines completely by-passing it. Either that, or I could simply install an el-cheapo transmission cooler or oil-cooler small enough to fit in the stock position.

My only question is about the power steering. Has anyone else by-passed this cooler before? Would this rusty-cooler be causing the brown/red power-steering fluid?

I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks a lot for all your guys' help so far!

Dan This really depends on how much you intend to drive the car. If you are only planning on short commutes, you could bypass the cooler. If you plan on longer trips, it would be a good idea to keep a cooler inline. If I were you, I would get the smallest transmission cooler available, and adapt it to the PS lines and mount it in front of the AC condenser in the front grill area. Most anyone with the right tools & fittings could do this for you, if you do not feel comfortable doing it. Good luck!
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3747/santaquickstopuj2.jpg
Merry Christmas!

imidazol97
12-23-2006, 09:00 PM
So far after getting my 95' Park Ave (base)

The next task was to assess the only problem the dealer found... the power-steering cooler.

Turns out, the thing has a good sized crack in it and it's dripping steering fluid.

Why not look to the recycling yards for a replacement? A small cooler loop was used on a lot of those cars. I believe my 93 leSabre had one. I don't know about 98 leSabre. But one probably would be an easy fit as far as the connection sizes if you do find one from a recycling yard...

Alibi
12-25-2006, 12:55 AM
I second a junkyard part. Installing a cooler is still an option, but it would just be a bolt-on fix with a junkyard OEM cooler.

Add your comment to this topic!