Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

indoor painting???

integra818
09-20-2002, 11:50 PM
Winter is comin around and i wanna do my next integra(4th one) but i can't paint outside if it's raining,i heard alot of people tLKIN bout indor painting,could you give me some tips on how to do this because i have never spraypainted inside the house
How/where/anything you know,tell me!!!!
Please,i dont wanna delay model building cuz of the weather,please help!!!:(

djmr2
09-20-2002, 11:56 PM
build a spray booth with a fan to pull out the overspray/fumes and put it out a window...

Catfoodv
09-20-2002, 11:58 PM
I usually paint down the garage, with the window and door to back yard open. When I clean my airbrush, i spray it out the window. When i am done with everything, i open the garage door to let air in.

I don't open the garage door when i am painting because the garage is dusty, having too much air movement always end up with a dusty paint job.......

I really don't recommend painting in your bed room where you'll sleep right after you paint......that's like 8 hours of thinner breathing.

nikanora
09-21-2002, 01:01 AM
I never spray outside:)

Though i do airbrush and i've become acustom to the smell of rubbing alchole... ummmmmmmmmm....

Cat:by chance did you used to post at gundam.com?

integra818
09-21-2002, 01:05 AM
If the sun doesnt hit the paint,does the paint still dry properly?:confused:

Spec2 Girl
09-21-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Catfoodv
I usually paint down the garage, with the window and door to back yard open. When I clean my airbrush, i spray it out the window. When i am done with everything, i open the garage door to let air in.
That's what I'm doing with my current model. It's raining over here at the moment so it seemed like a good option. So far so good. :)

primera man
09-21-2002, 06:10 AM
I paint all mine inside as there is less "stuff" floating around in the air to land on your model

935k3
09-21-2002, 07:05 AM
Painting inside on a rainy day is ok if the temp outside is maybe 60 or below otherwise there still will be humidity problems unless you are running the air conditioning or a de-humidifier. Investment in a spray booth was the best thing I ever did. I can paint any time and it is not always easy to see how the paint is laying down when your outside. In a properly lit spray booth you can see much better. One of the best buys is Paasche(the airbrush company) it is really nice size(biggest in price range)it's all galvanized steel it exhausts very well even using Krylon spray cans. I use a furnace filter. Here is a pic.

Ragnarok043
09-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by nikanora
I never spray outside:)

Though i do airbrush and i've become acustom to the smell of rubbing alchole... ummmmmmmmmm....

yeah im pretty sure he did use to post at Gundam.com, i forgot that he does auto models too. BTW im also from Gundam.com too incase you dont reconnize my handle.

anyways inorder to paint inside you need a spray booth to either vent the fumes outside or filter ou the fumes

tazdev
09-21-2002, 07:01 PM
All my painting gets done in my room. I used to spray down in the garage but after building my sub box there is still too much dust floating around.:(

Catfoodv
09-21-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by nikanora

Hey! Yeah! That's me alright!! Hahhaa, small world man!!! I am a newbie at this board now. hahaha. Damn i should go back to Gundam.com to say hi once in a while. I spend more time on car forums now that I got a new car......and posting at work is hard......:uhoh:

Ragnarok043:wave:

Ragnarok043
09-22-2002, 12:23 AM
i knew it was you, what a coincedence that we meet at this board. i just started building Auto models again after a 2 year break, lately ive been focusing on GKs.

ae86_takumi
09-22-2002, 12:39 AM
I never airbrush outside. I live on second floor of condo. I know I'm pretty careless but I spray in the tiny bathroom in my bedroom with fan turned on.
I use acrylic paint and alcohol for thinner. This way it dries quicker, smoother, thus more shine on the body. No, I've never gotten drunk from spraying alcohol. :smoka:

Hash_man
09-22-2002, 12:43 AM
Do you guys use rubbing alchohol??... I have used my airbrush once and it was inside to prime my celica, and i didnt use any thinner cuz it wa really thin already... What paints does the alchohol work with??

ae86_takumi
09-22-2002, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure how often ppl use alcohol to spray acrylics but I started using it more often with car models. Seemed to work better painting gloss body. It dries so quick - seems almost instant!
I mix paint and alcohol at 10:1 ratio when using Gunze or Tamiya acrylics. When I use Model Master or Polly Scale I use 20:1(or only 5-10 drops of alc). You really need to experiment with air pressure, paint brand, nozzle size etc to come up with your own "perfect mix" that works for you.

Ragnarok043
09-22-2002, 02:00 AM
ive been using isopropyl alcohol to thinn my acrylics for the longest time and it works great , its cheap and dries instantly. i dunno how you guys can airbrush outside with the wind. yesterday i was primering my friends center counsel and i had to spray like 3" away cuz none of it was gettin onto the counsel when i spray from 6" away.

Catfoodv
09-22-2002, 11:37 PM
Yes, i have that problem with painting outdoor as well, or with my garage door open. The wind is so strong sometimes, some of the thinner from the paint evaproated be before it lands on the model, causing a higher chance for orange skin..........

Add your comment to this topic!