Page updated on 06-23-2018

speakers

kb3jhp
12-22-2006, 12:33 AM
how are the 6 speaker stereos front speakers hooked up ther is only 4 speaker hook ups on the wiring harness and both dash and door speakers are 4ohms is ther a crossover im asking becaues my headunit is getting to hot

BlazerLT
12-24-2006, 08:53 AM
It shares the front channels.

kb3jhp
12-26-2006, 05:48 PM
but how are they hooked up to come out to be 4ohms

BlazerLT
12-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Are you using stock?

kb3jhp
12-27-2006, 11:27 AM
all new kenwood speakers and headunit

kb3jhp
12-29-2006, 01:32 PM
any body

sickcallawayc12
12-30-2006, 12:32 AM
are you sure the speakers are the problem?

kb3jhp
12-30-2006, 04:29 AM
had the head unit tested it was fine

sector95
01-15-2007, 07:56 PM
how are the 6 speaker stereos front speakers hooked up ther is only 4 speaker hook ups on the wiring harness and both dash and door speakers are 4ohms is ther a crossover im asking becaues my headunit is getting to hot

First off, you stand a good chance of buring up the output stage(s) of the amplifier of your in-dash unit by running two, 4 ohm impedance speakers in parallel....as you have noted, your unit is running hot. With multiple speakers on a given channel, a parallel connection is made when each speakers "+" and "-" lead is wired to the respective "+" and "-" connections on a given channel on your in-dash unit. In a parallel speaker connection, the total impedance is halved; hook two 4 ohm speakers in parallel and your units amp will be looking at a 2 ohm impedance or less....some amps can function at this low impedance, others not....yours seems to be having a hard time as the unit is running too hot.

In order to properly connect a six-speaker setup you will need a matched set of component speakers (a woofer and tweeter) that together will have a 4 ohm impedance. You could also try an aftermarket crossover. Another alternative, if you can find one, is to use an impedance matching transformer for your front speakers. I would check out Crutchfield.com; they are experts in the car stereo field and have been around for a long time. They have advice and parts for making any installation a piece of cake. I suspect the factory setup used a set of front speakers who's total impednace was 4 ohms when connected in parrallel; two 8 ohm speakers would fit the bill..... although I think the factory units were using 8 ohm speakers.....

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

mike
'85S10

goser
01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
I never did figure this one out, but if you pull the rear speakers you'll see they're rated at 9.5 ohms. Logically, the front speakers must be wired in series if they're 4 ohms each to roughly balance out the channels. What I did was run new cable to the doors and dash for my four channels, and left the rears out.

kb3jhp
01-23-2007, 11:51 PM
well i just bought a 4chan amp that will do 2 ohms an have the speakers running off that my head unit has rca outputs for all the speakers so i just turned off the internel amp. the ext amp does not even get warm and sounds much better it was just a pain running 4 sets of speaker wire 3 sets of rca cabels one for sub and power wire

Add your comment to this topic!