Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alternator?? 2000 S-10

sumj4585
12-21-2006, 09:29 PM
My battery light came on today...so I changed the battery. The light is still on. My wipers seem to be running slow too. My headlight are still bright though. Is this my alternator?

robinson52
12-30-2006, 06:05 PM
A good and easy way to check ur Altenator is to start the truck and pull one of the battery cables of if it dies its ur altenator if it continues to run its summthing else

mrmikey
12-31-2006, 09:42 AM
That's also a good way to fry the altenator and possibly other electronics. The voltage spike created when you disconnect the battery cable could be as high as 3-400V, low voltage electronics wouldn't stand a chance. If the altenator is working and you disconnect the load the output goes to max. Same as going up a hill with your foot to the floor and putting the clutch in.
Do yourself a favor and have the output checked properly with the proper gear..Mike

Joe Wilson
08-05-2007, 08:54 PM
That's also a good way to fry the altenator and possibly other electronics. The voltage spike created when you disconnect the battery cable could be as high as 3-400V, low voltage electronics wouldn't stand a chance. If the altenator is working and you disconnect the load the output goes to max. Same as going up a hill with your foot to the floor and putting the clutch in.
Do yourself a favor and have the output checked properly with the proper gear..Mike

On my 98 S10 the gauge tells what voltage it is putting out. If you don't have a gauge use a multimeter and check the battery voltage when the battery cable (-) is disconnected (engine off) and then check it when it is connected and the engine running. If it is less, you probably need an alternator. It should read about 14 to 15 volts.

sickcallawayc12
08-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Battery light comes on because essentially means the battery isn't being charged. In most cases its indeed because of a faulty alternator.

Add your comment to this topic!