Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trasmission Failure Unable to Shift Period... Please Help

wooguay
12-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Well here is it. Got up this morning to get into the car and i noticed this yesterday that the transmission was slipping in first gear cauing high RPMS to get into 2nd gear. This morning was driving out car died, dropped suddenly out of gear and wouldnt move. Reverse Drive etc. Luckily no car accident walked home and started making phone calls.

Camry 1994 V6 175K Miles.

Pretty much the car wont go into gear however after a few starts and if im lucky ill get it into first gear but as soon as i let off that gas maybe into a turn or stop. To drops out of gear and wont go back into gear until i turn the car off a few times and pray that it will go back into gear. Some reacent work i had done to the car specificly was the tranmission solonoid which was done less than a year ago. Im baffled on what to do, if i replace the tramission its going to cost upward of 1000+ and i also need a new radiator. If its simple i would like to get it fixed cause me being a college student cant afford a new car and i dont want to burden my mom for one. I drive really short distances maybe put 5-6k per year at max on teh car would love to get 2-3 more years before i purchase my own car.

Much thanks in advanced for any help you can provide, if you need me to take pictures whatever just post ill do my best.

somick
12-21-2006, 04:01 PM
I do not know much about transmissions but I would check the fluid for starters

Sam

davemac2
12-21-2006, 05:09 PM
well the first rule is to immediately STOP driving it when it first slips like this, because if you don't, you can totally hose the transmission even if it was a small problem to begin with. In your case, it's probably hosed now and you will be out $1500 min for a rebuild. Sinc eyou say it would not go into any gears, the initial problem is possibly the oil pump, torque converter, or a leaking valve body to the point of reducing your hydraulic pressure to non-operational levels. As the previous poster suggested, at least check the fluid level, but your problem is probably beyond that.

Sorry, :(

davemc

wooguay
12-21-2006, 09:25 PM
I checked the fluid and seems ti be rather clean it is a light red/pinkish color and very translucent. Whether or not its low, im not sure because my dipstick doesnt have a refill point just hot cold. The question is i knwo its hard to diagonis without actually touchign is, whether or not its worth replacing, i mean the car has been very well maintained alot of work has already gone in. If it comes to getting a new transmission i can get one feight delivered from georgia for a nice 650 (bout 55k miles) and just a matter of finding someone to install it.

Davemac2, the thing is the car is sitting at my house now, so its gonna take about 100 bucks to tow it to get it somewhere. As u said the inital problem could be the oil pump, touque converter and the valve body. Im sure any of those problems will cost just to see as its mostly related to the tranmission and diffcutl to get to? But the way you explained about the hydraulic seems to be exactly the problem, because i cant get enough pressure to build up to get into first gear but after its exhausted itself it drops out and pretty much in a nuetrual state.

I dont know what to do, lol i do aprecaite your guys responces and help to the issue so thanks once aagain and keep it comming. Im 50/50 on fixing this car and buying the 2007 altima 20,000 or 2,000 lol

Add your comment to this topic!