Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Filter Location and Replacement '97-'03

BNaylor
12-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Here is a procedure which shows the location of the fuel filter in a '97-'03 Grand Prix, all models and the replacement procedure.

Click here (http://www.pfyc.com/supportfiles/gasfilter/)

Another way to relieve fuel pressure is to remove the fuel pump fuse located in the engine compartment fuse box while engine is running and let the engine die.

It is highly recommended to use an AC Delco fuel filter, GF578.

bjaymo3
06-27-2007, 01:44 AM
From a safety standpoint, I question this procedure that is referred to. The use of a metallic screwdriver on the schrader valve is the first concern. If that screwdriver slips and causes a spark while gas vapors are escaping, there is a good possibility of combustion.

Since GM designed this system wth metallic nuts in what appears to be a haphazard manner, shouldn't brass wrenches or some other non-spark-producing tools be used instead of the pictured wrenches?

In my opion, the illustrated procedure fails from a safety standpoint. I've done this on a 98 Dodge Grand Caravan and the step by step rules from the AUTOZONE repair guide is much more explicit about safety and Chrysler did a much better job of making the procedure safer in the first place by using the plastic "quick connects".

BNaylor
06-27-2007, 07:39 AM
From a safety standpoint, I question this procedure that is referred to. The use of a metallic screwdriver on the schrader valve is the first concern. If that screwdriver slips and causes a spark while gas vapors are escaping, there is a good possibility of combustion.

Since GM designed this system wth metallic nuts in what appears to be a haphazard manner, shouldn't brass wrenches or some other non-spark-producing tools be used instead of the pictured wrenches?

In my opion, the illustrated procedure fails from a safety standpoint. I've done this on a 98 Dodge Grand Caravan and the step by step rules from the AUTOZONE repair guide is much more explicit about safety and Chrysler did a much better job of making the procedure safer in the first place by using the plastic "quick connects".

Actually the procedure is perfectly safe although you have concerns. I have done it many times and never blew myself or car up. Chances for combustion are highly doubtful since the fuel supply system is closed and normally under pressure. The gas vapors are not contained in a closed space with no ventilation. My concern woud be discharging fuel onto a hot engine so the engine should be cold before relieving fuel pressure from the Schrader valve.

For the extremely safety conscious DIY'er there are alternative methods to relieve fuel pressure pointed out such as pulling the fuel pump fuse or using a fuel pressure tester that has a purge valve like the Actron model below.

The procedure stands and will remain posted. It has been around for several years. If you have a problem with it contact the people at PFYC.com.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/alerofp.jpg

tblake
07-07-2007, 12:01 AM
why doesnt the link work anymore? I was going to do this on my gtp, but would like info on it first. Thanks

BNaylor
07-07-2007, 12:41 AM
why doesnt the link work anymore? I was going to do this on my gtp, but would like info on it first. Thanks

Link works for me. :dunno:

http://www.pfyc.com/supportfiles/gasfilter/

tblake
07-09-2007, 10:59 PM
there it goes, im sorry bnaylor. now i feel like a dumbass. Thank you!

mark455
04-20-2009, 03:47 AM
The link now appears to be be going to the home page of the site. Does anyone have this info saved? Thanks.

BNaylor
04-20-2009, 06:00 AM
The link now appears to be be going to the home page of the site. Does anyone have this info saved? Thanks.

Welcome to AF.

No. PFYC redesigned their web site so the link no longer works nor is the procedure available.

Just make a post at the regular part of the forum if you need help or do a search of the forum using key words "filter" and "fuel".

Add your comment to this topic!