Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Adjust Emergency Break 04 Alero

wes28
12-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi all. Im new to the thread, and am hainvg an issue with my 2003 Olds Alero. My inspection sticker is out at the end of December, so I went to renew it, but when I got the to station, everything passed EXCEPT the emergency break handle. The handle will not stay in the upright position.
I called the Dealer, and found out that its all one peice, so I replaced the whole handle which wasn't but $50.00, which was much less than I thought it would be, thank God!
I removed the old one, and installed the new one, but now the new handle will not stop the car. The oldone had no issues lockig up the rear wheel(s) when pulled up, it just would not stay inthe upright position without holding it there. I removed the rear wheels, and hub, and adjusted the shoes so that they are barely rubbing the hub when I spin the wheel, and still the hand break will not even slow the car down:banghead: . I see absolutley NO adjustments on the cable itself under the car. The only thing I can figure out is that the hand break I got might be bad.
If anyone knows how to adjust this, Im all ears. :confused:

Thanks in advance!
Wes from Tx.

xeroinfinity
12-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Welcome to AF !

You must not have the cable in right.

Not realy sure what was changed , but thier is no adjustment to be done that I am aware of.

Did you check and see if when the E brake was pulled that it is actually pulling the rear brakes ?
Also make sure the end of the cable , in the cabin , is inserted all the way.

Add your comment to this topic!