Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CV joints replacement 91 tercel/how difficult is it?

fentleyboa
12-19-2006, 11:50 PM
to replace both passenger & driver side drive axles, any suggestions ,boots are ripped. while I'm in there should I just buy new ,rebuilt?,I would rather spend a 'lil' $ and time to get the most miles out of my 91 tercel ,that already has 165,000mi.:popcorn:Thank you masked man

gator2764
12-20-2006, 09:53 AM
I think the Tercel is about the easiest car to replace CV axles. I have done both on my 91. I jacked it up, removed the wheel, removed spindle nut, removed three bolts on the A-arm (lower side of it) and swung it out of the way. The all you have to do it smack the axle nearest the tranny to pop the axle loose. I used a large scewdriver as a punch. You will have to push the old one in, just make sure you get the C clip to seat good.

fentleyboa
12-22-2006, 04:02 PM
I was able to complete the job fairly easily only prob was the spindle nut,(I didn't have a socket big enough)so I went and bought a GM 1-3/16" oil sender socket, although not metric (just a "smidge" loose) worked just fine. I put my electric impact on it and it was off.
Thanks for all the encouragement and Moral support. Sometimes I just need a kick in the pants :iceslolan your procedure worked like a charm!:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!