97 PA Front Wheel Groan

pboerschlein
12-19-2006, 09:06 PM
I have a 1997 Park Avenue that I bought last summer with 126000 miles on it. Fortunately 1 week after I bought it from the dealership the intake issue occured and that was repaired under warranty. At the same time I had them look at the front end, because I was experiencing a groaning noise. They replaced the driverside wheel bearing and said that they still noticed something, but it should be OK. A month later I replaced the passenger side wheel bearing which quieted things down quite a bit, but it allowed me to hear that the driver side was still making noise. I put my breaker bar on the nut on the Driver side and found that it was not tight at all, after tightening the passenger side with a 4 foot pipe, it thought that something was wrong. The dealership agreed to free issue a new bearing to me under warranty so that I could replace it myself. Now I am at 140000 and the Driver side is getting really noisy again.
Here is my question? I did not torque it to any specification ( what should it be?), but I did tighten it pretty good ( 4 foot pipe X 250lbs on it with a 3/4" Breaker bar). How critical is the torque? Could the groan be caused by something else, Also it definitely gets more pronounced when I turn to the right.

I called the local NAPA thinking about replacing the CV/drive shaft, but they said I should look at the brakes and go back to the wheel bearings adn that the torques is very critical. :banghead:

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated

jbman987
12-21-2006, 07:20 AM
i was doing some tune up work on my 97 PA. i have the same noise problem and my uncle suggested that it may very well be the rack and pinion on it. i thought about buying some special fluid to see if it works, but haven't gotten enough guts to do for fear of creating more problems. all my other suspension parts are in great condition.

HondaManDan
12-21-2006, 07:30 AM
I only have a groan when I turn my wheels all the way to the Right... It'll groan, then when I got to straighten out the wheel it'll groan again, then it'll be fine.

I think it's my power steering.

Check the ends of your CV joints and also check the races in the knuckle where the bearing seats. If it's not clean, you could be spinning bearings or sucking dirt in causing a whole slew of problems.

Also, a good thing to do would be to get ahold of a 1997-2000 Haynes Manual for your car... it has all the Torque Specs in it and it's only 20 bucks at AdvanceAuto or AutoZone.

Good luck.

kmax1
12-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I only have a groan when I turn my wheels all the way to the Right... It'll groan, then when I got to straighten out the wheel it'll groan again, then it'll be fine.

I think it's my power steering.

Check the ends of your CV joints and also check the races in the knuckle where the bearing seats. If it's not clean, you could be spinning bearings or sucking dirt in causing a whole slew of problems.

Also, a good thing to do would be to get ahold of a 1997-2000 Haynes Manual for your car... it has all the Torque Specs in it and it's only 20 bucks at AdvanceAuto or AutoZone.

Good luck.

Yeah, check the fluid. Power steering fluid (the gm brand, get nothing else) is clear.

When I had the groaning noise during turns the fluid was nasty. I sunctioned out what I could and added in new fluid. Did this several times after turning the wheel lock to lock. The noise went totally away.

HondaManDan
12-22-2006, 03:06 AM
Thanks kmax... that's really helpful!

Did you just use a syphon tube or did you use a powered pump of somesort?

I just got some Prestone Stop Leak Brake Fluid and I was going to add that to the system.. but I may do as you suggested and attempt to flush it out manually.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow, the car's actually going in for a transmission flush, filter change, and new serpentine belt.. then afterwards i'm doing the air-filter and an oil-change... so I might as well do everything while I'm at it!

Thanks again!

Good luck pboerschlein!

Dan

pboerschlein
12-22-2006, 06:12 AM
I do not think that mine is related to power steering because it makes a pretty good racket going straight down the road and gets worse when I turn right. Last night I let my wife drive and I sat on the passenger side for about an hour and I fell asleep it was very quiet comparatively on that side of the car.

kmax1
12-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks kmax... that's really helpful!

Did you just use a syphon tube or did you use a powered pump of somesort?

I just got some Prestone Stop Leak Brake Fluid and I was going to add that to the system.. but I may do as you suggested and attempt to flush it out manually.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow, the car's actually going in for a transmission flush, filter change, and new serpentine belt.. then afterwards i'm doing the air-filter and an oil-change... so I might as well do everything while I'm at it!

Thanks again!

Good luck pboerschlein!

Dan

My preference was to unhook the return feed to the power steering resevoir and have it pump out to a container while I dumped in new fluid. However the location was too tight for me to do it that way (I have an ultra if that makes a difference). So I had a large syringe and used that to get what I could out of the system. Then added fresh fluid, rinse repeat procedure. In otherwords, crappy fluid keeps getting diluted with new fluid after several times.

Not perfect...but much better.

HondaManDan
12-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Kmax,

I actually just got my car back from the dealer and they said that the Power Steering cooler has a huge crack in it.

I plan on just looping it for now and doing-away with the cooler all-together. (The mechanic there said it wont hurt anything.)

Either that or I'll try to find a cheap oil/transmission cooler at the parts store later on down the road.

My father suggested using a Turkey Baster to remove all the fluid because the reservoir is in such a tight spot... so I think we'll pull as much out of it as we can, put some new stuff in, pop a line off of the cooler, and let it pump through.

Then I'll put some new fluid in and some stop-leak.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dan

J J
01-08-2007, 01:22 PM
I had the same groaning sounds with mine after they replaced the struts. It was the strut mounts that needed to be replaced

82Stang
01-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Hello,

99 Park Ave with left front moan. Turned out to be wheel bearing. Few months later started moaning again and guess what? It was the same wheel bearing somehow gone bad. The parts store warrantied it and gave me another new one. 4-5 months later it is good now.

Also have a 93 Blazer with groaning on the left front and it worsens when I turn right. I know for a fact it is the wheel bearing because I scanned it. But if you know what you are hearing then you can tell the difference between the wheel bearing and Power steering or rack issues.

You should also torque the wheel lugs to the proper amount, usually about 100ft/lbs or so. Some part manufacturers will not warranty if the part was not installed to factory specs.

Hope this helps.

pboerschlein
02-18-2007, 07:59 AM
I just wanted to drop a quick note and let everyone know what the issue was. It was the passenger side wheel bearing, which I had already replaced 2 months ago. Napa replaced the part under warranty and now all is good. I figured this out while having front end up in the air supported by jack stands and having car in gear and accelerating. The passenger side wheel would not turn until RPM's were up there and then once it started it would shake alot. Now that it is replaced and torqued all is good.

Add your comment to this topic!