buying tires on the web

bm2boats
12-17-2006, 08:56 AM
I have been to a couple of tire centers and Mechanic's and they all say that buying tires on the web isn't a good idea. they say that the mounting of the tires will increase the cost then say just buying them from thier showroom. Is this True? I live in Cental NJ.

MT-2500
12-17-2006, 10:08 AM
I have been to a couple of tire centers and Mechanic's and they all say that buying tires on the web isn't a good idea. they say that the mounting of the tires will increase the cost then say just buying them from thier showroom. Is this True? I live in Cental NJ.

You sure take you chances when buying on the net.
The best price may not be the best deal.:grinyes: :lol: :lol2:
You will have shipping cost and have to get them put on.
And remember you can not pitch your old tires you have to pay to get ride of them.:lol: :grinyes:

A good local tire shop would be the best bet.
They usually have completive prices and are there to mount and balance and take care of you if you have problems.
Even tire chain stores will offer name brand tires but beware.
You can not trust just the brand anymore.
They buy a brand and then have it made up to there own specs.
Many different grades of a certain brand. Cheap or cheaper or good or a little better and even the best.
Good Luck
MT

'97ventureowner
12-18-2006, 09:44 PM
I have purchased many tires on the internet through tirerack.com . Their shipping charges are reasonable and I usually get my order within a day or two. I'm a serious shopper when it comes to looking for the best deals and thoroughly research anything before I commit to purchasing it. Many of the tire places including the chains in my area do not have good business practices, and I've seen many people get ripped off by them,(primarily because they were uninformed and didn't know what they wanted when they went in to purchase tires.)I looked around and found an independent shop who could mount and balance my tires for a good price. After figuring all costs involved , I still came out ahead and the tires are still going great. I've even found steel rims for my vehicle at a price nobody in my area could beat, let alone have any in stock. The customer service at tirerack is great, and if they have a question, or detect a problem with your order will call you immediately to get more info. On their site you can also read reviews of the tires you are interested in to see if they are what you want or need, and shopping for tires is easier since you don't have to go from store to store and get all of their sales pressures and tatics. Tirerack also has a network of shops all over the country that will install your tires for a set amount. All you have to do is enter your location, and a list of shops will be presented. And they also carry a road hazard warranty on their tires.

klohiq
12-31-2006, 07:51 AM
I bought two nitto nt555s from a local tire place for $100 per tire + mounting, balancing and old tire disposal...it came out to like $240

This past spring I was on tire rack and they had a closeout deal for kumho ecsta 711...$54 per tire...I picked them up and had them slapped on my rims with all the fees it came out to like $148...and they are much, much better in the rain or dry than my nittos...amazing tread wear too for how much grip they offer.

If you buy from tirerack or other well known and respected online retailor, it's not bad....but if you buy from the cheapest places you should be really to get screwed a few times since some of them aren't honest shops.

If you do buy from a local shop, check the prices before you drop the rims off and look online for a few different tires you want and the sizes you need...that way you don't have to believe what the tire guy says about what tires are good and bad.

RightWingZionist
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
lmao We meet again MT.
Tirerack.com I got two Yokohama Avid trz for 137 with shipping (60*2+17).
35$ +$5 tip (for not being a ripp-off) to mount and balance (he also moved previous fronts that were newer than the rears to the rear). =177 total =$88.5 a tire. Another tire shop that carries these in stock said "oh those are very good tires" 90 bux each w.o install :lol:
Shop around and ask the tire shop how much it is to balance and install and then compare to tireracks total cost.
My friend with a lexus IS 300 bout some honkrook gts or something tires for 100 each with install. They guy told him they were all-seasonal. I checked honkook's site and they are summer tires with a 240 or something tread wear rating.
Ignorant customers are their best customers.

Add your comment to this topic!